• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

well that didn't go down well! U/D heard from vets ...

happypreso

Alpha Buck
I 'phoned the 'special offer' vets and they are happy to spray star, they answered all the questions rights so booked her in. I phoned my normal vets and they are currently 'checking to see if that is okay' - basically said that they are not happy I am getting Star sprayed somewhere else and will ring me back to confirm?!!

At the end of the day they are charging £90 for a spray (cheap vet is £39.99), no discounts for me having 4 bun's (3 of which need neuturing) and that I have been there for the last 7 or 8 weeks, every week, with my 'poorly' buns and paying a small fortune out .....

So if they said I have to register Star with the other vets, then I will ... thier lost.

Last edited:
I 'phoned the 'special offer' vets and they are happy to spray star, they answered all the questions rights so booked her in. I phoned my normal vets and they are currently 'checking to see if that is okay' - basically said that they are not happy I am getting Star sprayed somewhere else and will ring me back to confirm?!!

At the end of the day they are charging £90 for a spray (cheap vet is £39.99), no discounts for me having 4 bun's (3 of which need neuturing) and that I have been there for the last 7 or 8 weeks, every week, with my 'poorly' buns and paying a small fortune out .....

So if they said I have to register Star with the other vets, then I will ... thier lost.

Do you mean spay or spayed :)

I think your existing vet should perhaps see if they can lower their cost of neutering if they aren't happy about you taking Star elsewhere. Whilst it is polite to inform your existing vet about your decision, you are perfectly entitled to take your bun elsewhere. My vet has no problem with me taking my rabbits to a different surgery for vaccinations, but for a medical condition they always see my usual vet.

Also, I know you asked questions, but did you ask your special offer vets which anaesthetic they use... and do they give pain relief, fluid therapy if needed and are the bunnies kept warm following surgery... I had one vet put my rabbit straight into her carry case following a surgery, she injured her eye whilst waking up :cry:

bloody cheek!

maybe they have an ulterior motive and have been conning you into unnecessary expenses or treatment?

Even if not, bloody cheek!

I had my buns neautered at a different vets, mainly because they are closer to my work so more convenient to drop them of in a morning there. Plus my local vets charge £100 for a neuter whereas the other only charges £44. And they were excellent with both my bunnies.

my spaying is free! i took my BG to get micro-chipped last week and they gave me a free nutering voucher to use in a vet of my choice it was the RSPCA that did it and she is getting done tomorrow. my friend also took her french lop giant to get done and also got the free nutering voucher.

i would recomend going to the rspca to anyone they where lovely just look for you nearest rspca micro-chipping event and get a voucher and save money:)

bloody cheek!

maybe they have an ulterior motive and have been conning you into unnecessary expenses or treatment?

Even if not, bloody cheek!

To be honest by the end of Holly & Angels treatment (basically both bun's didn't open eyes as young babies so the eyes were infected and Angel had an ulcer) I did wonder if they were just saying that it was still here, even if it wasn't. For the last 2 or 3 wks of the treatment, the vet kept saying 'next week should be the last week'. But the vets does have a really good reputation, everyone I know who has pets use them (which is why I changed in the first place).

The vet's haven't phoned back yet (and I have Holly & Angel booked in there for thier mixi jabs next week - black mark against my name then!).

I will wait and see what happens next .....

my spaying is free! i took my BG to get micro-chipped last week and they gave me a free nutering voucher to use in a vet of my choice it was the RSPCA that did it and she is getting done tomorrow. my friend also took her french lop giant to get done and also got the free nutering voucher.

i would recomend going to the rspca to anyone they where lovely just look for you nearest rspca micro-chipping event and get a voucher and save money:)

wow, really? I might have to check out where my local RSPCA is then. Do they do that for anyone or are there certain conditions applied?

I use two vets too and they both know. One vet tried to make me a better offer re vaccinations of my 10 buns but it didn't match my original rabbit vet (who are more knowledgable about bunnies anyway) so I continue between the two. They don't seem to have a problem with it.

Rabswood

Also, I know you asked questions, but did you ask your special offer vets which anaesthetic they use... and do they give pain relief, fluid therapy if needed and are the bunnies kept warm following surgery... I had one vet put my rabbit straight into her carry case following a surgery, she injured her eye whilst waking up :cry:

No, I asked a few of the questions (from the thread on here yesterday like how mnay bun's do they do and how many have they lost etc) and the receptionist answered them okay. When I asked about the pain relief and stitches she said, that would be a question to ask the vet as she couldn't answer that. As Star is no longer registered with the 'special offer' vets, she has to have a pre-op appointment (which is free - I thought that might be the catch!) and there I will get the chance to speak to the vet (so will go armed with my questions!). Then the spray will be a few days later so if I am not happy with the vet's answers I can still walk away without getting Star done.

I just want to say watch where you take animals in general for neuters etc. I applied for a cheap neutering vets to assist with animals after ops etc.
I have NO vet qualifications etc. When I went for job interview they said they do alot of stray cats. I would be shown how to stitch in my 1st week then 2nd week I will be doing that by myself and also be able to knock out animals for ops etc. I got the job!!!.........................................................
I then phoned to make excuse I was scared I wouldn't want just anyone operating on my animal, as I know a vet nurse who has been to college years etc to do this kinda stuff. I didn't realise it was even legal to do this?
So check how long they have been doing this? Is it a vets or just a vaccination/neutering place.
Remember we can all get the drugs cheap off internet doesn't mean we know how to use them properly.

I think your existing vet should perhaps see if they can lower their cost of neutering if they aren't happy about you taking Star elsewhere. Whilst it is polite to inform your existing vet about your decision, you are perfectly entitled to take your bun elsewhere. My vet has no problem with me taking my rabbits to a different surgery for vaccinations, but for a medical condition they always see my usual vet.

I did ask re a discount and no luck. I have booked my two young bun's in for their mixi jabs next week (with my current vet) and again no discount for having 4 bun's that all need their mixi jab's doing and/or no discount for having the VHD done at the same time either (paying for it I mean, I know it has to be given 2 wks apart). At least the old vet, did give you a discount for that as well .....

Starting to talk myself into going back I think?!?

I just want to say watch where you take animals in general for neuters etc. I applied for a cheap neutering vets to assist with animals after ops etc.
I have NO vet qualifications etc. When I went for job interview they said they do alot of stray cats. I would be shown how to stitch in my 1st week then 2nd week I will be doing that by myself and also be able to knock out animals for ops etc. I got the job!!!.........................................................
I then phoned to make excuse I was scared I wouldn't want just anyone operating on my animal, as I know a vet nurse who has been to college years etc to do this kinda stuff. I didn't realise it was even legal to do this?
So check how long they have been doing this? Is it a vets or just a vaccination/neutering place.
Remember we can all get the drugs cheap off internet doesn't mean we know how to use them properly.

OMG, really? That is a really scary thought! It is a 'proper' vets ....

http://www.couttsvets.co.uk/
is the old (special offer) vets

http://www.esmithvet.com/index.php
is my current vets

I hope that is okay to post the links?

I saw an advert in my local paper for the chain vets - Medivet doing rabbit spays for £39.99. I need my doe spaying and my usual vets charges £80. As it's something I'm only going to do once I'd rather pay the extra and get it done at my usual vets because I trust them. I guess it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I saw an advert in my local paper for the chain vets - Medivet doing rabbit spays for £39.99. I need my doe spaying and my usual vets charges £80. As it's something I'm only going to do once I'd rather pay the extra and get it done at my usual vets because I trust them. I guess it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable with.

I hear what you are saying but I dont know that much about either vet to be honest. I had my male rabbit, Bugs, done at my current vets and afterwards I was chatting in general and the receptionist told me they dont do many rabbits! (I know I should have asked beforehand however I didn't really know what to ask etc - no excuse I know). There was no post op check up either, no drugs (dont know if they are needed for males?), no real advice for the aftercare (I was told to check his stitching and to call if there was a problem?!) and I wasn't told that he had to stay in the warm overnight (It is only from reading posts on here that I know that now) but Bugs went straight out to his hutch the same day as the op!

Having said, all of that, the same vets have been fab with my bun's eyes. I phoned them up when I tried and couldn't open the eyes and the vet saw us and spent lots of time with them and opening the eyes and checking them etc. I think it may of dragged on too long (about 8 wks in the end I think!) but I am not a vet so I really couldn't say if the ulcer was still there or not.

Anyway, when you have 3 bun's left to get netuered, two of them being female, that is a huge amount of money to spend (£90 x 2 - assuming all goes well) compaired to £39.99 each. Having said that, I will probably get my other boy bun's Angel done at the current vet (about £55 for a male) as they are talking about possibly operating on his eye at the same time. Now given that he has been seen by them since he was about two weeks old, I would feel happier (i think) going to the vets that knows the history.....

sorry, waffling now, just trying to do what is best for the bun's and my pocket (!) and sometimes you dont know what to do for the best x x

I believe this is ILLEGAL unless performed by a VET, VET STUDENT, QUALIFIED VETERINARY NURSE or STUDENT VET NURSE enrolled with the RCVS.

Goodness................all that sounds very scary. If the rabbit rescues in your area spay/neuter their rabbits call and ask which vet that they use. They are going to use a very good rabbit savvy vet and the vet would have lots of experience. That is what I did for mine.

UPDATE ... heard from the vets (special offer)

They have just left a message on my answerphone saying they have applied for Star's history (which I knew they would) and that the current vet's were being a bit funny and have said that they will let Star get done at the new vets however I can not ring them for emergency treatment! (so I am assuming they are happy to treat for everything else?!)

So I am thinking, I should let Star being registered with the 'special offer' vets (she has had no treatment with the current vets anyway so there is no history as such) and maybe transfer Bugs as well and keep the two blind buns with the current vets.

What a lot of hassle!!

wow, really? I might have to check out where my local RSPCA is then. Do they do that for anyone or are there certain conditions applied?

no...well im a student but they didnt ask me non of that. it was just in the mail that rspca were doing microchipping free and free nutering vouchers so me and my friend took our giants down

my bun got spayed today and all it cost me was £1.80 for the recovary food

you can actualy choose your own vet for the op. i wanted them to write on the voucher all 3 vets in hartlepool then i talked to each vetanary group and chose the one i liked most the vet that done my bun is highly qualified for all animals and even does horses.

even tho i had a bad expiriance with my spay today (finding out she was pregnant halfway through it and loosing the babies) i feel the vets did the best they could of

so in hindsight i think the vouchers are a good idea becuase you choose where you go and when you get it done and its all free

however i do think you need to get them micro-chipped to get the voucher not quite sure:roll:

Last edited:
Back