• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping

LolasMummy

Mama Doe
Hi,
We recently bonded our two rabbits.

It is all going very well except Desmond will not stop humping Lola. He is a maniac. Luckily he cant do the stairs so when she has had enough she goes up there! She runs away when he humps her and has never bitten him. Neither of them hurt the other one.

How long does the humping go on normally? I feel so sorry for Lola as she is so tired and flops on her side and he takes this as an invitation to jump on her!!!

She is so tired and so patient!

Thanks,

You haven't said how old you bunnies are or if they are neutered. If they are both neutered then the humping should stop after a few days to a couple of weeks (longer if the neutering is recent). It is not just for the reasons you may think but also to determine which of them is most dominant. e.g. a female rabbit can mount another female rabbit in a display to show that she is top bunny. Once they have sorted their heirarchy they will be fine. It is important to mounting of the head as genitals can often be bitten badly.

If either is not neutered I suggest you get it done as the male will keep mounting as he wants to mate and the female will obviously get pregnant. Also, females are prone to uterine cancers, some studies say that upto 50% of un-neutered 5 year old females have 1 of these tumours.

Hope you get it all sorted soon.

You haven't said how old you bunnies are or if they are neutered. If they are both neutered then the humping should stop after a few days to a couple of weeks (longer if the neutering is recent).

Ooh, you've got me worried now! :shock: Milo still makes half hearted attempts to mount Cookie, and they've been bonded for a month or so now. They were neutered last year too, so it's not that. She just runs away and it hasn't caused any problems so far...hope it won't cause any problems with the bond!!:shock:

Ooh, you've got me worried now! :shock: Milo still makes half hearted attempts to mount Cookie, and they've been bonded for a month or so now. They were neutered last year too, so it's not that. She just runs away and it hasn't caused any problems so far...hope it won't cause any problems with the bond!!:shock:

It shouldn't be anything to worry about, some bunnies are just like that. If it's only occasionally it should all be ok.

Thanks,

They are a boy age 1 and girl aged 2.

Both been neutured ages ago.

Guess it is just something they need to sort out! Hopefully it will die down shortly then!

Fingers crossed!!

Hi :wave:

My bunnies, Syrup and Thumper are going through exactly the same - bonding started on Saturday and the fur pulling has stopped now, but the humping continues! Thumper just wont give it a rest :shock: poor Syrup doesn't bat an eyelid and carries on munching on her hay while he does his stuff! :lol:

They are outside bunnies though and I have noticed that he is worst when I am there, when I spy on them they are lying together but when I go out he gets excited :roll:

Hope Desmond and Thumper learn some manners soon :lol:

Jo
x

Back