• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Penny Pocket having op - updated interesting info U/D again

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Took Penny Pocket to the vet's to be admitted for her teeth op and her blood test for her hormones. I settled her into her little pen with the Nurse. Took some of her SS and some carrot, kale and spring greens and her little torquoise towel that she likes to scrap with! I think the Nurse just humoured me :oops:. Hated leaving her. Now just waiting for the call :(

I was going to put Sally in with her but I had visions of them taking the wrong bun into theatre as they look so alike! I put penny outside with the rest of them last night and they were so pleased to see her. They were all grooming her and everything. It was lovely! I think they can sense that things aren't quite right x

Last edited:
:roll:Well it's complicated really. If you want to read on then please do if I bore you then you can easily click the mouse!

Penny, while she was under, was going to have a blood test to test for her oestrogen levels regarding her nest making (Penny is spayed). Now James my vet wanted to be absolutely sure he knew what he was doing and after looking into it, it is more complicated than he first thought.

The oestrogen test could come back positive - this would be ideal because then we would know there was uterine/ectopic tissue in there. It could come back negative which then he would need to do another test in which he would have to put her to sleep as it would be from the jugular again. This would be the progesterone test which would then have to be sent to Tenessee in USA! If it was then postive then there would definitely be some tissue in there. The answer then would be to do an exploratory to find it as it wouldn't necessarily be in the ovaraian area.

To cut a long story short, if we do the initial blood test then we really need to know that we are in it for the long haul. James wanted to go away and really do his homework and speak to a rabbit expert in London and look at the pros and cons i.e. chances of uterine cancer still occurring, behavioural issues, impacts on Penny's health etc. James said that the teeth issue isn't absolutely imperative as it is just beginning to cause a problem and she is eating everything like a trooper so I know she is not in pain I will just monitor her very closely in the couple of days it takes James to investigate.

Does that make any sense. I know it's complicated! James says he has never heard of it before. Trust my Penny Pocket to be different :roll: Penny is just taking all this in her stride and is just enjoying all the attention!

Her teeth obviously still need doing it is just a question as to whether we go ahead with the blood tests at the same time. My first feeling is to not bother putting her through all that but when James comes back to me with the extra info then we can sit down and make an informed decision and take it from there. James has been brilliant and is going out of his way to help us. I trust him implicitly with Penny as he has a soft spot for her!

I would be interested to hear if anyone has heard of this or has had experience of this before? Life with my little Penny Pocket is never dull!

So Penny has ovarian tissue thats moved? :shock:
Im sure whatever choice you make youll have pennys best interests at heart
Very interesting to read :)

The piece of tissue might only be a couple of millimetres in length. It could have floated anywhere really and would not necessarily be found in the most obvious place but this is what he need's to find out off the bunny experts.

The piece of tissue might only be a couple of millimetres in length. It could have floated anywhere really and would not necessarily be found in the most obvious place but this is what he need's to find out off the bunny experts.

Gosh all a bit complicated then! :shock:

I read it all. ;) :lol:

It does sound very complicated :? (Penny wants to be different! :lol:) but it also sounds like you have a very good vet and I'm sure between you, the right decision will be made. :) Please keep us posted, I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do.

I read it all. ;) :lol:

It does sound very complicated :? (Penny wants to be different! :lol:) but it also sounds like you have a very good vet and I'm sure between you, the right decision will be made. :) Please keep us posted, I'd be interested to hear what you decide to do.

Thank you Karen. I will keep you all updated as I think I may need some advice on what to do off you all!

Just had a phone call off James the vet. He has spoken to a number of bunny experts about Penny's hormone/behaviour problem. They have said that there may not be any tissue left at all but it could purely be learned behaviour? If there is tissue left behind she is of no more risk to uterine/ovarian/ectopic cancer than any other spayed bun so I am leaving it at present. Unless her behaviour changes in any way we can easily revisit it so she is in for her dental on Monday.

I think that sounds like the best plan. :) I'm relieved to hear that there is no increased risk of cancer if there is a small piece of tissue left behind, as it seems that it would be almost impossible to find that tissue anyhow. :?

Has Penny only recently started the nest making? Just wondering if it's connected to the spring fever that lots of people are noticing - Alfie is getting a bit randy lately even though he's been neutered so maybe the weather is affecting Penny too.

She was nest making last year aswell. I am marking it on the calendar in the kitchen to see if there is a pattern. What the bunny expert also said was that it was quite unusual, if some tissue had been missed, that Penny show this type of behaviour at certain points in the year. Usually it is an ongoing behaviour?

I feel better now a decision has been made. Penny relieved aswell - bless her x

Back