• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit handling help

flowertots

New Kit
hi
i have a new male netherland dwarf he is 5 months old i got him 2 weeks ago from some one and he was a house rabbit and still is but i think he was just left to come and go as he pleases and not handled very much as every time i try and get him out his hutch he runs away and then goes to bite me and have been handling him from day one of getting him but he is still doing this so if anyone has any tips that could help me it would be grate
many thanks

Hi

First thing is he neutered? Intact males can be grumpy because of all the testosterone in them. He should be old enough as it can normally be carried out once they reach 4 months. He is probably missing having space to run around if he was a house bunny as rabbits should never be shut in a hutch. He really could do with a large (10ft x 5ft) run or access to a secure garden or fenceed off portion of your garden.

He could also be lonely. Rabbits are social creatures and he was probably getting company before from his owners but now he is outside he is alone. You should get him a neutered female for company.

All of these things should help but Netherland Dwarfs sometimes have the tendency to be grumpy.

Rhian

hi

Bunnies generally dont like being picked up etc because in the wild this would only happen if they were going to be dinner!
You have to earn their trust so if possible (is he in house or garden now) sit talking to them for bit and build it up to stroking and generallt tickling around sides untill eventually you can get to pick them up start close to ground until eventually you can carry them. You can also use sweeties each time you pick them up reward them with a sweetie good boy. Takes time but should get better.
As Rhian said best get neutered and if costs allow a female (also neutered) local rescues can pair you up! For more tips visit www.hoppybunnyrabbit.com

hi and thanks for your replys he is still an indoor rabbit and he does get the run of the house for a few hours each day witch is why im a bit shocked he is acting the way he is a full male as i have 2 females i was going to mate him with but after this i wont be breeding with him as dont want this to be passed to the babies thanks again for your help everyone

You say you've only had him two weeks? I reckon you need to give him longer to settle in and feel happy and at home. I'm sure he'll be lovely once he gets comfortable. =:)

I got my male bun from a pet store, and he was clearly being abused there. I just couldn't stand to see him stay there.

He was very distrusting when he came home, but we've worked on our relationship for a year now, and we have come to understand each other. He doesn't want to be picked up. He doesn't want to be a lap bunny.

He wants me to sit on the floor near him and let him explore my legs at his own pace. He wants me to pet the top of his head for hours, as long as his four feet are on the ground.

Try just spending a lot of time at his level. Talk to him, let him set the pace. Don't rush him into anything. If you're on the phone, sit on the floor near him and just carry on your conversation. They like hearing your voice. And you can feed him some veggies by hand to teach him that you're a giver of good things.

But most of all, it just takes patience. But honestly, my relationship with this bun has been the most rewarding by far. He's my best friend. :love:

Back