• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im so scared

sam and nala

Alpha Buck
so...... nala is going in to be spayed tomorrow and im so worried i have never in all the years i have owned horses and other animals had to get an opperation for them so im really scared for her

anyone got any advice for me to help her get better and be comfortable whilst healing ?:)

do i just leave her in her crate or do i let her out to roam the house as usual?:roll:

how long is it before she should be feeling her naughty self again :lol:

Its not nice waiting for them to recover but at least you know its the best for her. You should leave her in the crate for a whole week, if shes is roaming free she might try to jump on something and strain herself. The stiches cover a large area so they could split. Make sure that you have got her favorite foods to tempt her to eat, and also some apple juice or something to tempt her to drink (just a small splash mixed witha bowlfull of water)

I had 2 females done together, one perked up much quicker than the other so I was really worried. One wouldnt eat or drink until the next morning when I eventually tempted her with dandelion and apple juice in the water.

so just put some like dilute apple juice into some water or the pure apple juice you get? and how much do i put in?

It's not nice, but she'll be fine. She may need a snugglesafe to keep her warm, and have lots of tasty titbits to tempt her to eat. Any herbs, dandelion leaves, grass are all good.
Ask the vet about meds - ideally she should have a gut stimulant injection and definitely a painkiller before she comes home. Some vets like to make sure they've eaten and pood as well before they let them home.
Good luck!

Forgot to add that Snugglesafe is a good idea too, i used a small hotwater bottle wrapped in towels for mine but none of my 3 ever sat on it. Use fresh juice and just put perhaps 1 part juice to 9 parts water, yours might happily drink plain water but mine needed some encouragement. (I might have worried more because mine were done over some very hot few days of the summer) I feed them cucumber too to help water intake but only do this if yours usually eat it.
Dont worry too much, juct keep an eye on them and if they are not eating try everything! Samba really scared me, i was giving her grated apple, mashed up banana all sorts! PM if you need anything, remember how many questions I had!

I know the feeling...my two girls are going in on Thursday, and i keep shaking when i think about it. Good tip with the apple juice...think i'll do that!

Ive got 2 vet beds for them, and they are going to be kept in a puppy pen for 4-5 days.

yeah ill try anything haha i think she knows somethings wrong im trying do do course work and she keeps nibbling my toes and wanting attention which is totaly unlike her she is a loaner :lol:

just hope it all goes well......prepare for lots more questions after tomorrow cos im new to all this haha

yas are all great :love:

good luck with your two also michelle666 :)

Hope everything goes well.

I know you you are feeling. I'm going to be a complete mess when Amber is in for speying in a few months. In a way you know where you are with horses but buns are so tiny and vunerable as a comparison.

i completly agree i have never had any major problems with my horses and to be fair had them long enough that im like most people on this forum can help anyone with anything when it comes to there horses

however bunnys im abit baffled with this is my first house rabbit and my first giant and my first op for a pet so im just terrified haha and i havent had a rabbit since i was about 7 so alot of firsts for me hehe

but love this fourm so much more helpfull than horse forums :lol:

Slightly off topic i know but like Sam said, this forum is very helpful and i love the way members offer help, advice and support as much as they do. I for one have been grateful to a number of posters with the advice they have written. I was going to go full steam ahead and put my pennysworth on one of that daniel's posts, i discovered it was closed - how rude is that??!! :D Makes me mad that he seems to be on a wind up when there are people who need 'proper' advice!

I find that the horseworld can be very much 'i'm better than you' attitude which indeed gives a lot of 'horsey' people a bad or snobby label. We're not all like that! I was just a Happy Hacker when i had my horse!

i dont even attempt horse forums now i just ring the vet if im in doubt haha

i do dressage and have one im breaking in but im not snobby at all, really down to earth i just disslike the people at the shows now i should invent internet dressage haha record my horse doing it and enter a show that way then i dont have to hear all the snobs picking on my cob haha

its the same with rabbit shows i fear they will be snobby and my bun is nowt special really but i love her haha

but yeah we have gone completly off topic haha never mind :lol:

My Daisy was spayed last Thursday. I was a complete wreck waiting for 2.30 when I could call. I felt so guilty causing pain to my little girl :cry: When I picked her up I asked if shed had a gut stimulant (metaclopromide) and painkiller (metacam) They hadn't given her a gut stimulant :no:!!!! so they gave her one. They said she'd had a 24hour painkiller and that I wouldnt need any extra to take away. However, I insisted that I take some 'just in case' and they let me have some. I'm soooo glad that I did, she needed some morning and evening for 3 days after. You could tell when she was in pain because she sat hunched and didnt want food. The only thing she really wanted to eat was basil and parsley (I went through several pots) and tiny bits of greens! Today is the first day shes virtually back to her naughty self and eating normally :D.

My Daisy was spayed last Thursday. I was a complete wreck waiting for 2.30 when I could call. I felt so guilty causing pain to my little girl :cry: When I picked her up I asked if shed had a gut stimulant (metaclopromide) and painkiller (metacam) They hadn't given her a gut stimulant :no:!!!! so they gave her one. They said she'd had a 24hour painkiller and that I wouldnt need any extra to take away. However, I insisted that I take some 'just in case' and they let me have some. I'm soooo glad that I did, she needed some morning and evening for 3 days after. You could tell when she was in pain because she sat hunched and didnt want food. The only thing she really wanted to eat was basil and parsley (I went through several pots) and tiny bits of greens! Today is the first day shes virtually back to her naughty self and eating normally :D.

so i can just ask for a pain killer to take away?

whats a gut stimulant? *your probs sat thinking im a spazz for not knowing but im new to all of this*

are they meant to give her this stimulant before the op or after or what?

how do i no when to give her pain killers and in what form are they powder, tablets, needles what?

:lol: told ya there would be many more question to come lol

Perhaps a clever someone on here could do an idiots guide to speying for us learners on what to expect, what to do before and after, and what to them give to help with pain/gut troubles. Spell it out in plain english:D So many people are asking questions and are going through the speying for the first time and i expect the old hands are getting fed up repeating theirselves!;) but we need to know:D

:lol: yes an ideots guide to spaying would be amazing haha im sure they do get sick of us newbies but im sure if they are anything like me they would like to know that people are doing the right thing for their pets sake

anyone wanna take up the offer of helping us out with an ideots guide hehe

so i can just ask for a pain killer to take away?

whats a gut stimulant? *your probs sat thinking im a spazz for not knowing but im new to all of this*

are they meant to give her this stimulant before the op or after or what?

how do i no when to give her pain killers and in what form are they powder, tablets, needles what?

:lol: told ya there would be many more question to come lol

I had read on here that many vets give some painkiller to take away and give to lady buns for a few days after their spay as it is a big op and quite painfull for the first few days. It is called metacam and there is a dog version and a cat version, your vet will tell you the dosage based on which one he gives you and the weight of your bunny! It is in liquid form and you get a little syringe. It is honey flavoured so many buns will lick it as you squeeze. Daisy didnt like it so I put it in a basil leaf ;) Daisys dosage was cat metacam and she was allowed 0.6mg I gave her 0.3 in the morning and 0.3 in the evening! The vet should have given a painkiller probably 24hour but I asked my vet for some and they were quite happy to let me take some away!

When rabbits have a general anasthetic (GA) they should be given a gut stimulant after the op, often called metaclopramide. Rabbits guts are always processing food and need to be on the move thats whey they eat all the time :D With a GA the guts normall functioning may slow down so they are given a stimulating drug to help get things moving again. They also give this if your rabbit stops eating and goes into stasis.

ETA: She should be in an area where she cant jump up onto anything and if you have a male bunny makesure he doesnt try and mount her! Keep a check on her wound and makesure its intact and she hasnt nibbled at it. Good vets usually use internal dissolvable stitches and glue the wound so hopefully no stitches to pull. It looks a lttle bit like a rough little concertinaed line. She will hop funny as it hurts for a few days :( Daisy even resorted to doing a funny little walk!

Last edited:
Think i'm going to be more traumatised than the rabbit!:shock:

I do have a question if some of you wouldn't mind answering...

How long does this op take and what did YOU do while it was in progress? Did you wait at the vets or go home?

They normally ask you to drop your bunny off early in the morning (I left Daisy at 8.30) then they ask you to phone about 2-2.30 in the afternoon to see if she is OK and come home. Then they let you pick them up an hour or so after that, all being well. So its not something you can sit and wait for. It's a big op for a little bun!

I went to work! I couldnt concentrate much and ate loads of junk food in my nervous state :lol: I left early to pick her up at 3.30

Last edited:
haha i have uni ill be sat there in me lecture just ignoring everything hoping she is ok :lol:

i told my lecturor i was gonna be in a bit of a state, tho dont think she understands she was all "its only a rabbit, why are you bothering getting it spayed"

i was quite :oops: the way she was talking too me :(

Back