• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried sick =(.. Update =]

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
Since Kitt and Cleo bonded themselves Kitt's eye has become swollen came very sore looking. I've noticed that when she grooms him she constantly goes for the eyes, so for now I have seperated them. I've booked her in for her first vaccination tomorrow and despite her looking healthy and the vet giving her the all clear I'm worried that she's made Kitt ill :-( xx

Last edited:
:wave: I had exactly the same thing shortly after I bonded my two. I was so paranoid that Florence had somehow gotten Myxi that I rushed her straight to the vet. Apparently it was just an eye infection and her lovely new husbun was licking it to try and keep it clean and make it better. Can you post a pic? It might be a similar thing.

I hope its nothing serious.

How long did you quaratine for? Although the Vet said she was all clear, it is advised to quaratine at least two weeks as some symtoms may not of appeared

x

ETA - i am wondering if its whats mentioned above? Kitt may have an eye infection or a sore eye and she is grooming it for him to be nice, but actually making it worse?

Last edited:
It may be a bonding injury too - I swear they aim for each others eyes sometimes - I've had 3 buns at the vets due to scratches on the lid etc. Hope it's not serious

hope it's nothing but do agree with Nat..when taking in a bun from an unknown place..sich as a stray..quarantine must always be stuck to for at least 14 days..a vet's quick check cannot possibly tell if she is carrying some diseases.

Having said that I'm sure it will just be over enthusiastic grooming..keep us posted

I was wanting to keep her in the conservatory, away from Jamie, Sapphire and Kitt, but my housemates (well, one in particular) refused :( I didn't have a choice but to leave her with Kitt, and I couldn't just expect a rescue to be able to make a place available for her as I know the waiting lists are massive :( I know I've been stupid, but I thought the vets word was enough :cry:

Here is what his eye looks like WITHOUT vaseline... I put some on last night:-

160320092655.jpg

And this is what he looks like WITH vaseline... makes it look much worse:-

170320092658.jpg

=[ xx

Hm it does look quite sore. Could you pop Kitt to the Vet and ask him to check it out?

It might just be overgrooming :)

Is it scabby or anything? Or just red skin?

It's not scabby or anything, and his other eye is completely fine. Whenever I saw her grooming him she was going mad over that eye. He's as normal- eating, drinking, running around, pooing. I can't get him in to the vet until tomorrow as they've no appointments left for today x

It's not scabby or anything, and his other eye is completely fine. Whenever I saw her grooming him she was going mad over that eye. He's as normal- eating, drinking, running around, pooing. I can't get him in to the vet until tomorrow as they've no appointments left for today x

Ah i see.

By the sounds of it is over grooming. Not sure how you could stop it either :?
There separated now they arent they? That should give his eye time to rest :)

Ah i see.

By the sounds of it is over grooming. Not sure how you could stop it either :?
There separated now they arent they? That should give his eye time to rest :)

Yes I've seperated them but they can still see each other and he lays by her cage as if to guard her. I wasn't going to bond them until she was neutered but she got out of her cage when I wasn't here. I wont introduce them until after she is neutered as I'm guessing that could be why she is like that?x

Aww, poor thing, that looks painful. I have to say it looks worse than my little girl did when her eye was sore, as she only had quite localised redness and swelling on her upper lid, but then again her husbun didn't over-groom. Hopefully the vet can put your mind to rest and give you some drops and it's nothing worse:)

Yes I've seperated them but they can still see each other and he lays by her cage as if to guard her. I wasn't going to bond them until she was neutered but she got out of her cage when I wasn't here. I wont introduce them until after she is neutered as I'm guessing that could be why she is like that?x

Hmm possibly....ive never introduced an unspayed female to a neutered male..well i hadnt until yesterday :shock:

All is calm over here though, none of that funny business, but hey theres time :lol:

Just thought I would give everyone an update, I took Kitt to the vets today with Cleo who went for her first vaccination. He is being treated for an eye infection which has been flaring up, so I have to put these drops in his eyes twice a day for 8-10 days.

The drops are called Fucithalmic Eye Ointment.

xx

Back