• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Overgrooming making Kitt's eye sore...

loobie_lou

Mama Doe
... is there anything I can do about it?

Cleo and Kitt have bonded themselves, and round his eye looks quite red... therefore I am assuming sore. Every time she grooms him she over does it on his head, and I've seen her grooming his eyes.

Is there anything I can do? Should I be worried?

xx

I'm not much help either, but I've heard that using a *very tiny* amount of Vaseline can help with the soreness. However, that sounds like a band-aid fix, because the over-grooming is more the issue. I hope someone can give you better advice than me!

wow they bonded quickly. So i guess nobody claimed poor cleo then. Not sure about the overgrooming the eye area but my buns sometimes overgroom eachothers ears until they are quite bald. Was cleo quarrantined for long? Hopefully she can't pass anything onto Kitt that may make his eye sore. Hope somebody with better advice can help you :)

One of my friends rabbits has just ended up with a huigely swollen & pussy eyelid from his new wife-bun overgrooming and is now on antibiotics so definately keep an eye on it.

Dill does this to B.It looks like hes chewing her eye out:lol:Will be keeping a good eye on this as B has got beautiful eyes an dont want any problems with them.

One of my friends rabbits has just ended up with a huigely swollen & pussy eyelid from his new wife-bun overgrooming and is now on antibiotics so definately keep an eye on it.

Eeeek, I shall keep an eye out for that.

I've put a bit of vaseline around his eye, and she's not touching his eyes now... so fingers crossed it soothes him too

xx

Well i'm not leaving them together tonight, she just wont stop grooming his eye! It looks really swollen :-( So taking him to the vets Wednesday as this is when I next can. The vet who checked her over said she was in perfect health. They've been in the same room and been fine so just hoping it is over grooming xX

cant believe they bonded soooo fast:shock:

mm yes bif is a very aggressive eye groomer...so you shouldnt seperate them just pop something like the vaseline like you have and it take ages for ehr to lick that off.

in the meantime you could just bathe his eye with cooled water with a little salt three or four times a day until you get to the vets wednesday.
berties been suffering an eye ulcer for a while now and it started with a scratch..the vet presumed the cats as they doe tread bertie when they purr and snuggle with him when he lets them but i think in fact i know it was more than likley bif whens he bit his eye lid that time as well:oops:

cooled boiled water and a teeny bit of salt is the best thing but can sting so beware!!

:wave:

Back