• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Intact Male living with spayed female

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
My friend bonded a full male with her desexed female in december, she thought she would 'have a go' rather than get him sorted. The pair have been very happily living together until a few weeks ago, now that spring has sprung he is humping her like crazy, she seems a bit miffed and has taken to chasing him off with her teeth! My friend has decided to do what i had advised all along and get the boy neutered but I wanted to know if it is safe to keep them together following his recovery? If he tries to hump her will he hurt himself? I dont want to get the blame if the bond is broken by seperating them during the recovery.

My friend bonded a full male with her desexed female in december, she thought she would 'have a go' rather than get him sorted. The pair have been very happily living together until a few weeks ago, now that spring has sprung he is humping her like crazy, she seems a bit miffed and has taken to chasing him off with her teeth! My friend has decided to do what i had advised all along and get the boy neutered but I wanted to know if it is safe to keep them together following his recovery? If he tries to hump her will he hurt himself? I dont want to get the blame if the bond is broken by seperating them during the recovery.

She can take them both to the vets and ask for them to remain together as much as possible. He can recover with the female if they are not aggressive towards each other. I dnt think he can really hurt himself by humping but i may be wrong.

I am afraid they will more than likely start fighting soon and will need separating anyways so she is best to get him done asap.

Thanks, i didnt know if he might strain himself if he humped before he was recovered fully. She should have done it before she even tried to bond them, shes been lucky really. I keep telling her its not fair for him to be so frustrated!

If you keep the buck with the doe after the op he will damage his penis trying to mate .They should be split. They will go back together ok after a few weeks. The male to female bond is natural and will work again unlike two females. Ive had a rabbit that had terrible trouble after his op because he kept trying to mate. His penis was swollen and bleeding and could not be retracted because of it.

I've had a couple of pairs come to me with the female neutered and the male not and each time I have managed to keep them together after the castration with no problems :)

They currently live outdoors but I think if I lend her my dog crate she could keep them indoors while he recovers so she can watch them closely and remove him if he is too frisky. I'm sure the vet will offer her further advice too, I know the vet is good because it is the same one I use. I know from my experience of having rabbits neutered that the boys tend to bounce back very quickly and 'forget' any operation!

Back