• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Care Book

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Hello everyone!

I would really like to buy a detailed book on rabbits and their care. The more in-depth the better. I would like to learn all about their anatomy, common health problems, common treatments, information on different breeds, etc etc.

Anybody know of a good book for buns?

Rabbitlopedia has good info on anatomy and has info on different breeds, but personally I am not a big fan of it.

On good book purely on health care is When your Rabbit Needs Special Care. It is also an American book so all drug info is more relevant to you:)

That second book looks great from the bits I've seen looking it up. What turns you off to the first book?

I haven't read it for a few years now, but from what I remember I didn't think info on housing etc was adequate. I just didn't like the whole tone of the book really, but I do remember it has diagrams of rabbit anatomy in it and photos of different breeds if that is what you are after :)

I might dig it out again and have a look through it and then I can be more specific.

If you want more in depth veterinary info A Textbook of Rabbit Medicine is good but a little dated also Notes on Rabbit Internal Medicine is fantastic :)

Every time I see a bunny book I *HAVE* to buy it, which means I have heaps of them (and I've been banned from buying an more :oops: ) One of my favourites is 'rabbits for dummies'. It has heaps of info but isn't too condecending (as a lot of general bunny books are).
I was really dissapointed by 'the rabbit whipserer', I thought it was going to be about psycology but it was a general book with some rather dodgy info and some 'celebrity' stories. Most of which don't advocate how a bunny should be kept.

You guys realize I'm going to go buy about 15 books and get in trouble by my boyfriend. If my rabbit condo hasn't taken up enough room, he'll be thrilled to hear the bunnies are taking over the book shelves as well. :oops:

Oh well, give me any more suggestions you have! "A Textbook of Rabbit Medicine" looks really good, because it seems to have some pictures that would be helpful for me, and it seems to be really in depth. Now I'm thinking I want a very technical book and a more plain book so I can get the best of both worlds. Oh boy...

Just had a look on Amazon at Rabbits for Dummies - I want a good rabbit book too and wasn't sure what to go for. Shame about the chapter 'breeding and showing rabbits for fun and profit' :roll:

I wasn't best pleased about that chapter either, but I guess they have to show all aspects of what owning a bunny can be. I think the information they give is good though, (as far as I can remember in any case) and is geared towards the bunnys best interests. I'll check when I get home though.......

:wave: i second the bunny with special needs book..its really very good.

And also by one of the authors is another great book i have..its called..bunny health in the 21st century second edition....a must for bunny parents;)

goofball6482od1.jpg

go w/ Textbook of rabbit medicine as well as

The 5 minute Veterinary Consult: Ferret and Rabbits by Barbara Oglesbee

they are the top 2 in my opinion

Wow, that's an awesome collection. I will definitely get those books once I get the cash. ($150 US for a book! Yikes!) But it seems it'll be well worth the cash.

some of those books are really scarily scientific and expensive - if you want a good one with less of the science the House Rabbit Handbooks is a cheaper option while still having some info about medicine/anatomy etc. It doesn't have breeds and things in it though and it does become a bit redundant in the face of some of the hardcore books - or the walking encyclopedias on RU :lol:

Emma

Wow, that's an awesome collection. I will definitely get those books once I get the cash. ($150 US for a book! Yikes!) But it seems it'll be well worth the cash.

you have to shop around between amazon.ca vs. amazon.com, I bought that book for only US$90 at amazon.com at christmas time. the price changes quite often. I also call all local stores, their price is much higher than amazon

I have just read "why does my rabbit..?" and found it quite good. It is more a book on their behaviour and why they do certain things (like bite or dig up the carpet) and solutions. It is sligtly dated in that it advocates rabbits and cavies living together in one part but I found it quite ineresting!

Back