• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where did the white babies come from????

jvccoke

New Kit
Hi, I posted recently in a panic when my dwarf lop had her second litter, 30 days after her first!! She had 4 babies in this litter and three of them are white. Mum is brown and dad is grey and all 7 of the first litter are brown/grey. I'm really puzzled how these are white!! Does this often happen?
I think they'll be easy to re-home as they're so gorgeous.

The mother's and father's coat colour doesn't always determine what colour their offspring will be. It is likely that both parents have heterozygous genes coding for coat colour which means they have one dominant and one recessive gene (one maternal and one paternal) the dominant gene for mum will be brown and for dad grey which is why they display these cost colours, however, the heterozygous gene could be white in both parents which means, put together will produce white babies as they will be homozygous recessive (which means they have no dominant gene just two recessive genes coding for white fur)

I bet that makes absolutely no sense but i had a go lol

The mother's and father's coat colour doesn't always determine what colour their offspring will be. It is likely that both parents have heterozygous genes coding for coat colour which means they have one dominant and one recessive gene (one maternal and one paternal) the dominant gene for mum will be brown and for dad grey which is why they display these cost colours, however, the heterozygous gene could be white in both parents which means, put together will produce white babies as they will be homozygous recessive (which means they have no dominant gene just two recessive genes coding for white fur)

I bet that makes absolutely no sense but i had a go lol

I think it was a good explanation :)

agree with what the others said i love all bunny colours but have found in the past whites not so easy to rehome due to htie rred eyes. :( x

I got the same surprise as you did.
Both my breeding rabbits are fairly dark in color (black and brown sable) and they had a REW-kit:lol: I knew one of Aroma's grandparents is a REW but I had no idea Sasuke carried it too.
REW is recessive, so rabbits of any color can carry it hidden:3

Back