• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can Rabbits Pass Snuffles?

Nummy

Young Bun
Hi, I recently took my rabbit to the vet and found out he had the early start of a respiratory infection which I have been treating with baytril. My question is this... My rabbit is in his own room by himself. I have guinea pigs in my home aswell and they have their own room too, which is all the way at the other end of my house. I want to know if it is possible for guinea pigs to catch his infection if I use the same broom to clean them all. :?

It would depend on the bacteria involved but yes, some RTIs can be passed from a Rabbit to a GP and some can be fatal for the GP :cry: (Bordetella)

As your Rabbit and GP are kept well apart (well done :D) then it is unlikely your Rabbit will infect your GP

Bordetella Transmision:

Animal to animal by direct contact and airborne transmission. Incubation period is 3-10 days. Infected animals may shed the Bordetella organism for 3-4months after apparent recovery from the disease.

Last edited:
That is good news. :D One of the piggies seems sick today, but has never even seen the rabbit. So I was wondering if i somehow passed it on. Like I said they never are in contact, and the vet said it was very early infection. I took him to the vet the moment I saw a runny nose!! I just hope that I didnt make the pig sick from the broom. I guess I shouldn't worry though if it is only contracted through direct contact and airborne transmission they are so far apart I don't even think they know eachother exist!

Back