• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting

Charys

Mama Doe
Despite the warmer weather, I see no sign of my bunny-boy loosing his winter coat. This is my first spring as a rabbit owner, so I don't know when they moult, or how they moult (all in one go or slowly and imperceptibly) ? Do buns just moult once a year ?

My bunnies haven't started to moult yet, but they will in the next month or so.
The moult usually starts at the head end, and gradually works back along the body, with the bum bit being the last to go!
If you look at this pic of one of my bridge bunnies, you can see he is half way through moulting, and the moult line is clearly visible! They look a bit weird when they are half done!
HPIM0207.jpg

It is usually a messy time when buns are shedding hair, as it ends up everywhere, and all over your clothes and house if they are indoor buns.
Brushing helps, as does hoovering if your bun doesn't mind the noise, but be careful not to suck up skin.

Mine are outdoor buns, and grow their thick coat for the winter, and then shed it in the spring, so yes, just once a year.

Hi

It's normally about 4 times a year, but can be completely dependent on the bunny and the weather. Not all of mine are molting at the moment, but a couple are having a horrendous time of it with the stuff going everywhere. In fact some of ours had a constant molt last year.

I wouldn't worry about it but I would maybe try brushing as this might encourage the new coat to come through - or not.....

Thank you bunnyhopper and The Duchess for your replies. Bunnyhopper, my Bunny-boy is outdoors too but was watching him out in the warm sunshine in the garden yesterday and wondered if it would set off his moult. Will be interesting to see if he does the head to tail thing, that picture is very interesting what a hugely thick coat yours grew for the winter !

Hi I have three free range bunnies and Willow started to moult a couple of weeks ago but the other two never seem to moult much.Willow on the other hand comes out of one moult then starts all over again

NO, no fur comes off when rubbing the coat - so either he is a very light moulter and does it very slowly, OR he hasn't started yet and it might be more sudden. Maizey, so it shows how individual this moult thing is if you have 3 kept in the same conditions who are respond differently. Thanks for the replies.

Back