• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with/ or have had plumpy buns...

**Ilovelops**

Alpha Buck
Hiya,

I've noticed Bonny seems to be on the little of the plump side :oops:
I can only put it down to the winter weather and him not being able to get outside in the run as much, and/or choosing to lazy about in the cold weather.
He has had access to half of the shed on a daily basis to run about (8ftx3ft plus his hutch of 5ft x 2ft), but I do find he runs around abit, then flops.

I want to really get him back to his trim self before it gets out of hand. He has tunnels and cardboard boxes to play in/on, but what else can I do to help him trim up a bit?

I'd really appreciate your advice. Thank you :)

What are you feeding him at the moment?

I would reduce his dry food and up his hay and herb intake. Scatter the dry food all over the shed and hide his veggies in places that he has to search out and dig for.
Keep veggies the same unless you feed alot of natural high sugar ones like apple or carrot. Reduce these to small treats once or twice a week. :wave:

some buns are just naturally a bit chunkier than others! my two both run around loads yet matt is always a bit heavier, and they are both prone to putting on weight easily so i have to be careful.

what breed is your bun and how much does he weigh?

some buns are a bit heavier after winter and then once spring comes they seem to play and run more so go back down again.

what is he eating at the moment because this could be another factor?

i think he just needs to keep running around lots and he should trim down. :)

Hey,
Thanks for your replies :) He's on burgess excell, and he and Choco (who he lives with) have a bowl-full a day between the two. They have hay unlimited (from dust free hay) meadow and timothy, and really enjoy hay cakes, which I give them 1 every two days along with their usual hay.

The veg I give is broccoli, greens, and carrot with I give a little once every two days (a little as in half a carrot each, or a sprig of broccoli each). I tend to rotate the veggies, so they have a different one every time.

They also LOVE 'dandelion delight' herbs, which I give a pile of once every two days (alternate with the veg).

Both Bonny and Choco are mini lops. I've not weighed them, but to hold/carry and to look at, Choco just looks and feels 'normal', whereas Bonny is a right chubster incomparison! :shock::oops::lol:

I think i said this the other day but your Choco looks just like my Milo!!

IMG_0389.jpg

I was at the vets with Milo the other day and he is a mini lop and he got weighed and he was 2.6kg and the vet said that was perfect. I dont know if that helps you or not!!!

Your bunnys are beautiful by the way!!:love:

you can cut down the pellets to very little or switch to the fatty pants excel lite. Mine were on that until I had babies to look after & was having to buy by the sackful & so switched over to normal. It is easier to control their weight on the lite. Sneak a bit of extra to your "normal" buns & the weight should come off....I have to admit I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to weight loss. Honey & sooty could do with loosing 0.3kg (honey who is quite small is 2.3kg, she should be 2kg, sooty should be 2.5kg) each but when they are that thin I think they are really skinny...the funny thing is my rosie looks like a bowling ball but is actually an ok weigh :roll::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Choco looks just like my Marmite :) who on occasions has been a little chubby!! I changed him onto excel light and it seems to have done the job as he has the same amount before and has lost 0.4kg. So it might be worth trying it. Mix it in gradually with his other food and then move him onto it completely :D hope this helps x

I agree with cutting down the pellets - a bowl between two each day is way too much, they only need a small handful morning and evening. Feeding hay but giving them lots of pellets is like leaving a big bowl of chocolate out and expecting children to ignore them and eat their broccoli! To get them to eat more hay (good for both of them, not just the tubster) I would cut down the pellets quite drastically. Excel lite is also perfectly fine for both of them if you can swap to that.

I would also cut out the carrot totally for tubby bun, although you can cheekily give a piece to any other non-fatty buns in the vicinity. Carrot is high in sugar (carbohydrate) so it will actually be very fattening!

You could also try getting him to exercise more - put the pellets in treat balls, or mix them in with hay so they have to forage for them, that sort of thing :)

IMG_0389.jpg

I was at the vets with Milo the other day and he is a mini lop and he got weighed and he was 2.6kg and the vet said that was perfect. I dont know if that helps you or not!!!

Aww he does doesn't he!!! Milo is gorgeous :love: :love: :love:

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I will certainly follow it up :) I'm going to pop out and get some Excell Lite on my way to uni today :)

Thank you :)

IMG_0389.jpg

bisc and matt are mini x dwarf cross and i had to get their weight down to around 2.3kg. matt is now 2.3kg and bisc is 2.2kg. they were a bit chunkier than this before. :oops:

i think they could go down to 2kg apparantly but i think this is too far for matt, he's just right at this weight now. bisc has always been a bit lighter. :)

Oh i see, i suppose it depends a lot on the bunny doesnt it, Milo is quite big for a mini lop. He doesnt feel fat so im hoping he is ok! :)

Oh i see, i suppose it depends a lot on the bunny doesnt it, Milo is quite big for a mini lop. He doesnt feel fat so im hoping he is ok! :)

sorry, i wasn't saying he was too heavy! :oops:

the weight range for each breed is quite varied and like you said it depends on the actual bun. like matt technically could lose more weight but i know he would be too thin then because his spine is just right, but i know it would feel bony if he lost anymore. :)

the weight range for each breed is quite varied and like you said it depends on the actual bun. like matt technically could lose more weight but i know he would be too thin then because his spine is just right, but i know it would feel bony if he lost anymore. :)

or you may discover like me that you bunny has a very bony spine but a definate beer belly :shock::lol::lol: sooty feels perfect on top but the vet weighed him & he was 2.8......she then had me feel his tum compared to the other buns & someone has definately been eating too many donuts! he has to loose 0.3kg :lol::lol:

Blue is a reformed tubbster! He was about 5.6 but now he's down to 4.8 (I think) He's a french x dwarf and he still has a little pot belly! I'm worried about him losing too much more weight because at the moment his shoulders and spine feel quite boney. Excel lite is magic stuff, maybe try feeding them separately, Blue wolfs his down like he's been starved....seriously, it's gone in about a minute :shock: So maybe if you feed them at the same time but apart you can monitor more effectively who is eating what.
I feed him about an egg cup of pellets a day, split into 2 meals with a little for bribery :oops:
He has got a lot more active since he's slimmed down, he periscopes a lot more and seems to have turned into a goat.
Good luck!

Hey thats ok, no worrys! :D

Back