• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding

julieblack

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave:

I havebeen putting my pair together now for a couple of weeks.

I have a 2 yr old female (Floppsey) and a 16 week old male (Joey). the female is spayed but the male isn't yet. I was supposed tol get him neautered at 4 months but he was poorly so he cant get done until May now.

At first they chased each other a bit but now joey just chases her all over and then she lays down and he humps her... alot, on her head, side back. I tried leaving them but it floppsey looked very miserable so I took him off her and he keeps starting again. they were together all morning today and he didn't leave her alone!!!

Is this normal? will he settle once he's been neutered?

any advise would be great, thanks guys
:lol:

Yes he will settle down once neutered. I would not recommend trying to bond untill after he is done!

If your male is a 16 week old unneutered male I would stop attempting to bond him until her has been neutered.

Your female is going to get fed up with his persistence and will probably end up fighting back at him and a serious injury may occur.

What you are experiencing is what I would expect with an unneutered male, whilst this may be normal and expected this is also unfair on your female. The more stressed out your female becomes the more likely her immune system will become compromised and she will become more susceptible to infection and disease.

My advise would be to separate them immediately and not toreattempt to bond them until at least 2 weeks post operatively

Definitely keep them apart and do the bonding later. If the head mounting continues castration could occur before it was planned.

Back