• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flies Everywhere! ARGH!

Zara

Mama Doe
It's not even warm yet and already little annoying flies are trying to move into my rabbit's hutches. I scoop out the dirty straw and poo everyday, already put rearguard on my rabbits (much to their disdain xD) and am even hoping some very large hungry spiders will move in xD no matter how clean I keep the hutches and the rabbits, tiny flies are in there every day. I'm gonna have a good spritz soon but I have a gland infection and havn't even had time or energy to play with the rabbits properly this week (They play inside and outside but get bored easily if I'm not around to be their slave, Firefly was staring intently at the door the other day whilst outside)

Any tips on what could help? Are there any sprays or anti-fly treatments that are safe to use around rabbits? I tried the net curtain thing but the rabbits pulled it through the mesh wiring and ate it :lol: I don't think they like net curtains, can't blame em.

Okay, I am now officially EMBARASSED. I thought your thread was called "Files Everywhere" and assumed a bunny had trashed your study or something. I'll keep taking the tablets.... :oops::oops::oops:

The little thunderflies don't cause fly strike :) If you've got a rain/bunny teeth free area you can put up sticky fly paper :)

We've got fly nets on the hutches already and you can also plant a citonella plant or get some citronella oil and dab it around the hutch as a repellant

A babypram insect net is handy for hutches, already elasticated around the edge, my vet suggested net curtain the plain kind has tiny holes and if you search on the internet you can buy mosquito net and mosquito net on frames - designed for humans to sleep under when camping, which I imagine could go right over a run.

The little thunderflies don't cause fly strike :) If you've got a rain/bunny teeth free area you can put up sticky fly paper :)

What type of flies are the offenders for fly strike? Daisy is indoors, but I've noticed a few flying beasties in the living room recently.

i dont have a problem with flys here, i have a problem with crows plucking the fur out of my rabbits for their nests. They did it right in front of me today and the buns dont even care :shock:

i dont have a problem with flys here, i have a problem with crows plucking the fur out of my rabbits for their nests. They did it right in front of me today and the buns dont even care :shock:

:shock: Might be best to have a hosepipe or other water spraying device to hand, or leave the sprinkler system hooked up so you can give it a quick blast when needed :?

Back