• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skinny?

Jazzy B Bunny

Wise Old Thumper
How do you tell if a rabbit is skinny without weighing them? Concerend about Jazz and Eclipse although their behaviour is normal and they are eating normally. Most prob will take them to the vets next week.

When Biscuit and Phoebe lost loadsa weight, the first thing I noticed was I could really feel their spines, and when I held them, they felt really fragile.

Thankfully Squishy has 100% recovered from her poorly spell and is back up to a healthy weight, but we had to have Pheebs PTS :(

I can feel Jazz's spine and some of the bones on top of his back near his bum :cry: He's eating fine though, which is what I dont understand. I think I'll take them to the vets on wednesday :( Eclipse has had blood tests and everything and they couldnt find anything wrong with him.

I can feel Charlies bones a bit, but they don't stick up or anything, so I think he's just about right.
I think its if you can see the bones too much, or feel them sticking right up, it's when they're underweight?

I can feel Jazz's spine and some of the bones on top of his back near his bum :cry: He's eating fine though, which is what I dont understand. I think I'll take them to the vets on wednesday :( Eclipse has had blood tests and everything and they couldnt find anything wrong with him.

They did blood tests on Squish too, but she was fine. She needed a dental though.

Jazz only had a dental not even 2 weeks ago so I hope he doesnt need another one :( I'll get them to check Eclipses teeth on wednesdsay.

You should normally be able to feel the bones, but if you can see them I would be worried. I think the best way to monitor is to weight them quite often.

I think if you run your hand down their back and it goes bump bump bump , too thin, if you run it down and can feel the spine then thats fine. I would increase the amount of pellets they are getting for a week and see if it makes a difference before taking to the vet, could just be requiring a little bit more food!

Back