• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have a new female bunny: a question

Maria786

Warren Scout
She is a cross netherland dwarf and lionhead. When is it appropriate to get her spayed? Her age is around 10 weeks old at the moment.

thanks

My lionhead's booked in for Tuesday at the age of 17 weeks, although we're not quite sure which op it's going to be yet. I'm inclined to think she's a doe but even the vet can't decide. They're happy to do the op on Tuesday either way, though, as he/she's a good weight and healthy.

My lionhead's booked in for Tuesday at the age of 17 weeks, although we're not quite sure which op it's going to be yet. I'm inclined to think she's a doe but even the vet can't decide. They're happy to do the op on Tuesday either way, though, as he/she's a good weight and healthy.

If your vet is not yet sure which sex it is I'd be inclined to wait a bit longer..:?

Buns can be castrated as soon as their testicles have dropped if male

if does they can be done from 15 weeks aslong as they are a good weight..at least 1 kg..but smaller breeds such as nethies are best left for a couple more weeks.
if a spey is attempted when the bun is too small the ovaries and tubes which need to be removed, are like thin cotton and bits can be left behind

If your vet is not yet sure which sex it is I'd be inclined to wait a bit longer..:?

if does they can be done from 15 weeks aslong as they are a good weight..at least 1 kg..but smaller breeds such as nethies are best left for a couple more weeks.
if a spey is attempted when the bun is too small the ovaries and tubes which need to be removed, are like thin cotton and bits can be left behind

:wave:Just read the thread (I have a male nethie..16wks), he weighs 1kg and my vet gave me the same advice.......

My lady Mrs Bun was speyed at Xmas,the grand old age of 1 yr.She was 6 months or so when I got her and thought she was a fella until I got the tantrums!! Then it was a case of waiting till her boobies went down as she started to lactate,bless her!!
But all is well.
Good luck with your bunny.xx

The vet's not looked for two weeks, but there are still no sign of plums. I'm sure that the vet will be able to tell on the day. If he's retracting his plums, I'm sure they'll find them. I've been told that lionheads mature early so they should be there if he/she's going to get them.

The vet's not looked for two weeks, but there are still no sign of plums. I'm sure that the vet will be able to tell on the day. If he's retracting his plums, I'm sure they'll find them. I've been told that lionheads mature early so they should be there if he/she's going to get them.

Do they?
I have a lionhead lop and he didn't mature till he was 5 and a half months old or so.

Do they?
I have a lionhead lop and he didn't mature till he was 5 and a half months old or so.

A lionlop isn't the same as a lionhead. Lionheads (according to those who are in the know) mature early. That's why the vet's happy to do the job now.

My girls (Mini x Standard Rexes) were spayed at 5 months. I personally wouldn't spay any earlier than that, whatever size they were.

Back