• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help please asap... Updated

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
Woke all the buns up for brekkie this morning. Whilst the other three started troughing, Penny just sat in her litter tray. I scooted her out and she had a little nibble but then went and sat back in the litter tray again. Very unlike her as she is a greedy mare.

After brekkie I put them all outside in the sunshine but Penny just seemed to settle in a corner. My alarm bells started to ring a little bit so I've bought her in and she's on my bed at the moment.

She is not sitting hunched up or anything and is not grinding her teeth however she will lay herself flat out for about a minute before moving again in another position - very restless. She is bopping about the bed aswell as my partner is in bed with her with a hangover! I have also given tummy rubs which she seems to have liked.

I have tempted her with her favourites oatabix, fenugreek crunchies, cabbage leaf but she is not interested. I have also tried to encourage her to drink some cooled boiled water from her bottle but nothing. She was fine last night when tucking into her supper at about 6pm last night and she was eating her hay at about 9pm.

Any suggestions? I just have a feeling that something is not right. Could I administer infacol or perhaps some pineapple juice? Should I keep her in? Any helo would be appreciated. Am a bit worried as I have to be in work at 2.30 this afternoon and won't be home until 3.30 tomorrow. My OH will be in however.

Last edited:
It sounds like your rabbit has got gut stasis, the best course of action would be to get her to the vet so they can administer some metachlopramide to increase gut motility and some analgesia. They can also examine the stomach to check for any other problems and also examine the teeth.

Infacol may help. I am not a great fan of pineapple juice in acute conditions as if your rabbit has got gas from fermented food in the GI tract, anything high in sugar will make things worse.

Tummy rubs, a warm snugglesafe to sit on, syringe feeding with critical care, administering a probiotic all may help, however the most important thing is to get a gut stimulant and an analgesic.

Do let us know how you get along.

Thanks for the advice am gonna run out and get some infacol now. Where can I get it from. Is it only at chemists or is it off the shelf?

Chemists and also large supermarkets sell it in the baby section.

A vet visit is the most important thing to do to get a gut stimulant and also a pain killer.

Please dont syringe feed her until you are certain there is not an obstruction :cry:

Cooled boiled water and one 2ml dose of Infacol would be OK, but the most important thing is to get her examined by a Vet ASAP.

Good luck

Have just administered her with some infacol. Managed to get 1.5 ml down her. But now we have poos and wees. The poos are normal, nice golden brown and a good size. Probably cause she was stressed whilst taking the infacol?

Have put her ourside to get a bit of sunshine, seperate to the other buns, in a dog cage so I can monitor if she eats or poos. I'm a bit confused about all this really. If we have poos and wees doesn't this mean all is moving?

Last edited:
The fact that she has poo'd is good news but if she is still refusing food then she may well still be in pain.
Dental problems are high on the list of suspects when it comes to anorexic Rabbits and any sort of pain will trigger a physiological response which slows down gut motility.

Personally I would want her examined by a Vet today if she remains anorexic and generally 'not right'. Rabbits do their best to hide pain and illness as being prey animals it is in their best interests to do so. The fact that you are noticing from her behaviour that all is not well would be enough for me to consult a Vet ASAP.

Okey dokey. Thanks for the advice Jane. Have made an appointment for this evening just in case. If she improves and starts eating I can cancel it (will still take her tomorrow though to have her checked out) and if she still is not eating then I will take her. She is laying flat out at the minute and doesn't seem as fidgety as she was. Still not eaten anything though :(

I will try grating some carrot and perhaps mushing up some pellets in case it is a teeth thing. She has had her teeth checked every six months by the vet. I have another appointment booked for the 29th for all four buns to have their myxi jabs and health checks.

Last edited:
Sometime my bunnies get a little wind, and refuse to eat and stretch out in an uncomfortable position.
I usually syringe cooled boiled water, rub tummies and chase them round for a bit to get them moving.
I repeat this after one hour.
If they are still not eating they are to the vets.
If it is wind, there will still be an underlying cause (different food? pain?) so it is best to take to the vets anyway for a checkup.
Since I've had a very strict routine with my bunnies feeding wise, they don't (touch wood) seem to have these troubles at the moment.

She's just started eating! In the last twenty minutes all her food has just gone! She's eaten a handful of SS, a bit of rich tea, a fenugreek crunchie (her favourite) and is now starting on her carrot! I can't believe it! Now we just need poos so can you give Penny Pocket lots of poo vibes?

Will still take her for a check at the vets tomorrow x

Took Penny to the vets after eating a full breakfast bless her! Anyway her tummy is full of poos which is good and he can't feel any gas. He then checked her teeth and there are spurs at the back that are going inward to her tongue which could be causing discomfort. So she is in tomorrow for a dental and I'm dreading it.

He's also going to do the blood test to check on any uterine tissue left which are still causing her to make nests every now and again. I can also feel her nipples? I don't know whether this is causing her any harm to her mental state if you know what I mean. Poor Penny 'Pocket'! At least I know why she wasn't eating yesterday. The vet was brilliant and he's going to talk to this bunny expert in Harrogate (can't remember her name) about this behavioural issue. Am relieved but also very worried. Vibes for Penny bless her if you have any spare x

Back