• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will A Cat Just Watch A Bunny In Its Hutch? xx

If it is in an enclosed area it will just watch as it wouldnt be able to swipe through the mesh - assuming the mesh is a small size... my cats take no notice really of the bunnies... one of my cats tries to paw the rabbits if they are lose, but is fine with them... cats generally are not a problem.

Either way it will cause the bun a lot of stress.
How would you like a lion watching you through your bedroom window?
I would `discourage' the cat with a waterpistol...

I have a neighbours cat who has tried many times to put their paws through the mesh of the run when rabbits and piggies of a variety of sizes are out on the grass. Some would definately cause them harm therefore all bunnies and pigs shoul have covered runs to protect them from predators.

I have a cat here who runs away from most of our rabbits, but we have a pair indoors at the moment that she takes a swipe at a lot and then does big hissing!

she hasn't had her claws out yet, but she could and then there would be blood drawn.

I have a friend whose cats climb in her run and are great friends with the bunnies, they are very docile cats though.

It will entirely depend on the cats.

Our cat is very nervous so lashes out if she feels threatened.

I think you'll just need to make sure your bunnies are safe in their run and if they are allowed out to free range, make sure that you are with them all of the time while they are.

The bunnies never seem to be afraid of the cat I have to say. They just want to be friends with her.

Helen

Ensure that you have a hutch which has a close mesh and a run which is securely covered and also has a mesh that will not allow paws to be put into them. A run which is attatched to a hutch is better than a free standing one as they can escape back into the hutch if they feel threatened. If a run is separate, providing a shelter in a run is also a good idea so that they can hide.

Free ranging rabbits or any prey animal in a garden is not a good idea as there are many predators about which can harm them unless you are with them 100% of the time.

Ensure that you have a hutch which has a close mesh and a run which is securely covered and also has a mesh that will not allow paws to be put into them. A run which is attatched to a hutch is better than a free standing one as they can escape back into the hutch if they feel threatened. If a run is separate, providing a shelter in a run is also a good idea so that they can hide.

Free ranging rabbits or any prey animal in a garden is not a good idea as there are many predators about which can harm them.

I agree with this and have failed someone who wanted to adopt a bunny yesterday because she refused to buy a run - her bunny free ranges and she didn't see a problem She has umpteen cats too.

I don't like free ranging at all, although in certain circumstances I can understand why people are able to do it BUT ONLY IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN THE GARDEN THE WHOLE TIME YOU ARE WITH THEM

The bunnies never seem to be afraid of the cat I have to say. They just want to be friends with her.

All my bunnies want to be friends with our cat, (our indoor bun is always shoving his head under her so she'll groom him :oops:), but she looks on them as worrying large meals :shock: ie disturbed if they run towards her, but proper predator if they happen to be running away. I'd NEVER leave them unsupervised.

Get a water pistol to take care of the neighbours cats. They will soon learn to stay out of your garden.

:lol::lol::lol:How About This?...In the news paper; HOW TO TAKE CARE OF CATS!!!
ks402-1-z.jpg

:lol:

Back