• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new mother not drinking

tracy08

Warren Scout
As you may know Molly gave birth two days ago, but i have noticed thats shes eating lovely but not really drinking. Shes had hardly any water in two days. Is there something i can do or give.

If you've been giving her any fruit/veg in the past few days she might be getting moisture from them?
If not I'm not sure and I hope someone has an answer for you soon!

thanks yeah shes eating lots. loves celery. Trying not to give her too much greens though. She like cucumber too, so i suppose your right.

you have to forcefeed water via syringe. I can't explain why she's not drinking water, but a bun not drinking water is a serious matter. For the time being, gave some water or juice every 4 hours.

In general a bun need 50 to 100 ml of water PER KG. So if your bun is 2 KG, it needs 100 to 200 ml.

when you feed water, do it slowly. Use a 6 to 10 cc syringe, push 1 cc at a time, if you push too fast, it could get in the lung.

Please dont force feed a lactating Doe unless as a last resort !!

Offer her water in a bowl, Rabbits tend to drink more from a bowl.

Check the nozzle on her water bottle is not blocked

Add some Avipro-C to her drinking water ( a probiotic powder that can be bought from a large Petshop chain or online). Many of my Rabbits drink twice as much water if Avipro-C is added to it

you could also try Blackcurrant Dyralite which you can buy in the chemist for toddlers my rabbits love it even as a treat.
Rehydrates them replacing vital minerals and salts

agre dont force feed her. please also i think if she is having lots of celery and veg she is probebly getting a lot of water from that... but you can try giving her a bowl of water adn also try addding a tiny bit of apple juice to flavour the water x

Lighter green veg has higher water content usually, so I imagine celery has quite a bit, and I know cucumber does too, so she'll be getting a lot from there. Does she have a bowl or a bottle? If it's a bottle, have you checked it's working OK?

She has a bottle and i did at first think it was that but its fine. I put a bowl of water in but Molly is a fussy soul she doesnt like anything in her cage lol, Even gets the dish i use to put her food in and tries to throw it out as im trying to put food in her bowl Most of it goes everywhere lol. I will try putting something in her water. I jsut dont want her to get ill as shes feeding babies, but she loves her veg. she gets it twice aday so im sure shes fine. The other two have also stopped drinking quiet alot since i gave them celery and cucumber, i didnt know they could have this till i read this forum, :D Im learning every day.

It sounds as if she's getting all the water she needs from her veg. I'd just keep checking that the bottle is working properly, keep feeding the veg and leave well alone if she's eating and pooping well :)

She has a bottle and i did at first think it was that but its fine. I put a bowl of water in but Molly is a fussy soul she doesnt like anything in her cage lol, Even gets the dish i use to put her food in and tries to throw it out as im trying to put food in her bowl

1 of my bridge bun is like that. So what you do is to get a heavy ceramic bowl and put the water in, that way, it can't flip.

Listen to Jane, she knows a lot more about mother bunny than I do

It sounds as if she's getting all the water she needs from her veg. I'd just keep checking that the bottle is working properly, keep feeding the veg and leave well alone if she's eating and pooping well :)

yep i agree x

Back