• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whoops, don't think I will be welcome on Gumtree for very long!!

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Trying to sell my 4ft + run that I bought in error months ago.

Had a few ask what is the least I can let it go for. So I as them what is the most they can afford. Most don't reply. But got one today 30 quid.

so this is my reply...

If you can ONLY afford 30 pound you shouldn't be getting rabbits/ guinea pigs or anything else that lives and breathes!! Just paid 60 quid in vets bills, thats on top of neutering at 90 quid for each rabbit, so they can't bring more rabbits into this world!

Louise

Whoops! :lol:

TBH I don't think I'd pay much more than £30 for a second hand 4ft hutch & run, you can buy new ones for £90 on ebay....that was probably their first offer & they were expecting you to say "thats a bit low, but I'd let it go for £50" :lol::lol:

It was the "I can only afford 30 pounds" ONLY!!

For these guys VVVV happy faces I would pay the world Not very happy today, been to the vets nasty woman checked teefs, feets eyes and tums, and even had the ordacity to stab two of them!!! I know if for the greater good, but try telling them that!

I would let it go for 40, so long as its not to a rabbit!!, I bought it before I knew about rabbit housing, it was only used for 8 weeks, until I saved up to buy Charlie and Autumn their new , much bigger pad.

But isn't the point that you asked them to make an offer.....

of course people will say 'I can only afford' it's a haggling technique!

To be fair they are looking to buy a second hand product and aren't going to declare an endless budget to the seller! It doesn't necessarily mean that is all the money they have in the world or that they can't afford vet's bills etc.

But isn't the point that you asked them to make an offer.....

of course people will say 'I can only afford' it's a haggling technique!

I agree.....a friend of mine tried to let something go on freeview and was inundated with the "pleading poverty" e-mails. She decided to let it go first come first serve (to someone who was by coincidence pleading poverty) & the lady turned up in a BMW!

I agree, you should be able to pay out for your bunnies, but there is no point buying a £90 rabbit run that's going to get wet, chewed and sprayed on. And personally, I think it's better to get a cheap run that let your rabbit run out into the street or eat somthing dangerous. It might be that they only have a bit of money at that time or their old run might have gotten damaged or something. Most runs I see are £35 - £55 but I'm sure you could make one a lot cheaper. After all, its only really wood and mesh.

And if I saw an ad like that, I would make a very low offer to start with. Like I said before, it's going to get wrecked in a few months and I would rather spend my money on bedding and decent food.

If you can ONLY afford 30 pound you shouldn't be getting rabbits/ guinea pigs or anything else that lives and breathes!! Just paid 60 quid in vets bills, thats on top of neutering at 90 quid for each rabbit, so they can't bring more rabbits into this world!

I think that was a somewhat harsh reply to someone who made you a fair offer for a small second-hand run. You don't know the person at the other end of the computer, there could be any number of reasons why that person only offered £30. Besides, they were hardly going to say, well actually, I can afford to give you £250 as I'm loaded. Perhaps they had budgeted carefully, taking into account their vets fees, perhaps they were getting it as a spare, or to make a current run larger, or for a neighbour who neglects their rabbits, or it could have been a youngster using their saved pocket money up, or, or,or......

Last edited:
I think that was a somewhat harsh reply to someone who made you a fair offer for a small second-hand run. You don't know the person at the other end of the computer, there could be any number of reasons why that person only offered £30. Besides, they were hardly going to say, well actually, I can afford to give you £250 as I'm loaded. Perhaps they had budgeted carefully, taking into account their vets fees, perhaps they were getting it as a spare, or to make a current run larger, or for a neighbour who neglects their rabbits, or it could have been a youngster using their saved pocket money up, or, or,or......

i agree i dont think i would even pay 30 for a second hand 4ft hutch and run to be truthful as all i would be using t for
(and i did get 2 recently) was chopping to make a bigger one so it wouldnt be economicall to buy more expensive also it could be the person already has a rabbit that needs to be on cage rest or other such or has had an accidental litter is trying ebst to seperate them and has found tehy have lost thier jo bto be truthful i wouldnt buy anythign of anyone who replied so rudely. i cant afford to pay out for an expensive hutch because i have dental rabbits that cost me a lot in vet fees when i was purchessing hutches hence why i got cocos 6ft for £25 off ebay. and so sadly u may have stopped someine buying a hutch which oculd only have been a run shelter or other such thing...such a shame.

a lot of us are quick to jump on peoples cases about hutches costs etc when sometimes people are tryign to do a good turn taking in an unwanted or learnign as they go they may not have a lot of money but can prehaps afford the basics such as food neuter and vaccs and have a credit card or savings for desperate vet funds (i do ) and therefore their ability to spend a lot on non essentials or other luxurys is less..and you dont know what the hutch was to be used for it could be they have g.pigs indoors but want to let them outside during summer so not worryed about spending a lot as current accomodation is fine but would like a bargain hutch. try adn think before being so harsh to others.

I don't think I would expect to get £30 for a second hand run (even in very good condition) either - and truth be told I'm a busy person and can't usually be bothered with people arranging collection whic involves me taking a day off work for it and then them not turning up etc etc.. too much hassle and it's the hassle that isn't worth the money :lol:

Instead I clean it off as best I can and give it to my local animal rescue, I'm sure they go through runs as fast as they go through food bags! :shock: seeing the rescue buns playing out in it and getting some fresh air is priceless :love:

Last edited:
Doesn't change the fact that your reply to the other person was rude.

I agree with Charys.

You didn't post saying how can I sell this for as much money as possible (which understandably you'd want to make as much for it as you can). You posted that you were annoyed that someone said they could "only" offer £30 for it, and that you therefore felt they clearly couldn't afford to have pet rabbits or guinea pigs. As you said you would only let this go to be used for guinea pigs, how do you know this is the case with an ebay buyer?

Back