• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bit upset after vet visit

I have just taken Shauny and Sophie-Annie to the vets for Shauny's VHD injection.

Both were checked over. And my Shauny at the back of his mouth has slight spurs:(. The vet will check him again in 6 months and he will prob need a dental- it might sound silly but im in bits, i dont want him going ''under'' and i lost the love of my life Elvis to this. Im terrified.
x

aww hun, i can see why you would be worried if you lost a bun this way before, but if the vet has said they're only slight spurs then he may not have to have them done. matt had slight spurs for ages and they didn't cause him any problem and never got any worse so just keep feeding loads and loads of hay and he should be ok.

matt did have his done but only because he was going under for something else so the vet did them at the same time. he said he would have left them if it hadn't been for him having the ga for other things.

try not to worry, feed loads of hay like i said and see what the check up in 6 months brings and then deal with it then if it happens.

it's usually pretty safe but obv there are risks and if you happen to be the person with the bun who does react badly then the ga being 'uncommon for anything to go wrong' doesn't exactly help much.

but just see how he goes and try not to get too worked up about it. if it happens then deal with it and if it doesn't then that's great.

i know there are conscious dentals now but i don't know much about these. someone else will know.

hugs to you. x.

I got pretty much in the same state with Artie in mid-November when I was told he had small spurs. I have since been told he's unlikely to need a dental as long as he keeps up with the hay.

The fact that they have suggested having Shauny checked in 6 months strongly suggests they are not greatly worried about them as 6 months is a long time with these things.

I had a previous bunny who needed her spurs burring every 12 weeks, I used to get upset every time she went for them done but she was really quiet bright when I picked her up. I really can understand why you are so upset at the prospect as I nearly lost Esme under GA. The odds are stacked against anything going wrong for Shauny, but I can totally understand why your so upset.... ain't bunnies stressful? :(

Thankyou, i do feel a bit better. I always worry about them- even when nothings wrong, i feed them 5 differnet types of hay, and they eat it well- it just upsets me to think his teeth are not right.

It just brought back memories of my elvis:(. Which i still blame myself for
x

Thankyou, i do feel a bit better. I always worry about them- even when nothings wrong, i feed them 5 differnet types of hay, and they eat it well- it just upsets me to think his teeth are not right.

It just brought back memories of my elvis:(. Which i still blame myself for
x

i think when you love your pets so much and look after them really well and then they get something wrong, you just blame yourself and that's just because you are a good owner. all you can do is look after your pets as best you can and treat them if they do become ill.

you shouldn't blame yourself for losing your other bun. i'm guessing he went under general anaesthetic aswell and you lost him? i'm sure you wouldn't have put him under if it hadn't have been the right thing to do. and you feel guilty because you care. but you couldn't have known what would happen, and if you put him under then that was obv what needed to be done.

i understand though because i still feel so guilty from when my other two buns passed away. patch passed away in 2001 and i'm still not over it. i never will be. i still cry about it and i feel awful and disgusted that he wasn't looked after the best he could have been. i'll never forgive myself for that. smudge passed away in 2006 and we rushed to the emergency vets but he died as we got there. i blame myself for not getting there quicker. it's horrible to feel guilty though.

i'm glad you're feeling a bit better. just try not to worry (easier said than done!) and just don't anticipate things, deal with them if they happen.

wish i could take my own advice! i'm a worrier!

was reading the posts and i too lost a bunny over 6 years ago now and i too am not over it ,, i blame myslef and i too will never forgive myself as i was too ignorant and it was far too late before i could make a difference to her ,, this guilt does consume me she was only 2 but i learnt and my 2 i have now are now 6 years old and doing well however last week i too was told my bigger one issinoho will need a dental in a month or so or she weill get worse and not eat as thespurs are nearly touching her tongue.. as she is older now im worried about going under but the vet did assure me she ws in really good health for her age and she should be fine but i cant bear the heartache if sommat does happen to her ... its jst good to know other ppl feel this way as noone else seems to understand .. they just say its a rabbit ... but they not just rabbits are they?

Our Milo had a couple of dentals until the vet told me to give plenty of stalky type hay, apart from being more nutritious it wears their teeth down very well. He's not had a dental for 2 years now.

I get mine from dust free hay and Milo loves it :D

Our Milo had a couple of dentals until the vet told me to give plenty of stalky type hay, apart from being more nutritious it wears their teeth down very well. He's not had a dental for 2 years now.

I get mine from dust free hay and Milo loves it :D

i get hay from here aswell, i get a few bags of soft and a few stalky and mix them together and buns love it!

Aww hun *hugs* I actually cried at the vets last time when I was told Jazz needed another dental. I must of looked a right idiot!

Oh no! I felt exactly the same when I was told last week that Strawbs may need a dental soon. He has some small spurs and is hardly eating any hay whereas he used to eat loads. I lost Graham under a GA 3 weeks ago so I am dreading having to put Strawbs under!

having had a severe dental bun many years past who had GA every time and never one xray:censored: i had to have her pts at aged 18 months as her dentals were at least every four weeks and they said it wasnt fair on her.

since her ive had two dental buns and both had GA dentals until poor littleoscar passed away due to gi stasis . bif has had quite a few dentals and the odd thing is her spurs are aways tiny but they do bother her..i odnt have some form of munchausens by proxy honest:oops:

well the last few dentals have been done consciously....mark did two and they dudnt grow back for a few months..ellen did one a few weeks back and within a fortnight theyd grown back..not for the first time sadly.

so with her history they prefer to do conscious dentals and apart from the last one shes usually eating hay on the way home and fine.

even if this one went a bit duff then its a few times it happens even with GA dentals..but at least she stands more chance.
however my latest rescue has serious dental probs now..a tooth root abscess possibly related to whatever the incident was that robed him of his lower lip and turned the whole area necrotic.

we just have to go ahead and hope for the best...and if it doesnt turn out with buns alive the only thing i could console myself with is they were udner when they went.....and wont have to face any more pain.

but the guilt never ever stops.....i learn something new with each pet ive had esp bunnies and the guilt s always awful because you think you have control over eevry situatuion..but sadly we dont....

hugsxx

Thankyou for the kind replies- i'm such a worrier especially when it come to my babies.
I think i will take him back in 3 months instead of 6.

My elvis had some dental problems and had had about 3 dentals up when we were in manchester. We moved down to bristol and he needed another.

The vet practice (well known one) were rubbish, he went under and when i picked him up i was told he had had to have some teeth removed- nobody could tell me which teeth they were. I wanted to keep him on batril, i think (it was an antibiotic) for one week on and then one off ect. Because they said he had an infection- i was told not to worry so much and it would be fine.

we managed to get him back for another wonderful few months. And then he went down hill again and they told me all the bone in his jaw was infected- not long after that i lost the love of my life:cry:. I still cry about him now:cry:.
x

Back