• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet another question - sorry! Re. My new bun

SisterMoonbeam

Mama Doe
Sorry i seem to have started a myriad of threads lately! My new bun, frankie is worrying me slightly. I got him on thursday and he has barely eaten and is VERY quiet.

He has had huge upheaval recently, he was neutered on monday and only came to me on thursday so this might account for that but i've had no experience with post-neutered bunnies so not sure if it is normal.

When he is in his hutch he sits in the enclosed part and we hardly ever see him out, when he is out with me he seems inquisitive and has a good sniff and seems quite assertive but in the run, again, he is quiet and huddled in a corner and, like i said barely interested in his food. I gave him his pellets on thursday night and he had nibbled a couple by friday morning so i left them in the hutch. I topped up again last night and he has still barely made a dent. I also gave him veggies and lots of hay and a hay cookie (P@h ones) and nothing has been touched. He did have some carrott and top while he was out with me yesterday but that's it.

Should i be worried?

Charlie was a little bit off his food when he was first neutered, he just seemed really annoyed for a few days. He was fine after that though, so I hope it's just the same sort of thing!

most vets offer a free post op check so I'd take him along if you are worried. It's not unusual for buns to be off their food after neutering & if they have recently moved homes & the two together has probably thrown him.....if it were me I'd......

make sure he's got water, hay & some pellets in the place he's choosing to sit most often as well as where you'd normally put them.

tempt him with carrots if he's having a munch on them, parsley is another good one, apples, brocoli & grass if you can find any (obviously keep new foods to small quantities only).

put a probiotic in his water

consider buying a small bag of junior pellets which I use as treats. I've never known a bun to turn them down & a tsp or so a day shouldn't upset his tum until he starts eating normally again.

When you say he's on a run is he on grass & is he nibbling that? most buns love grass & you might find that he's having a great time on that & so not that interested in other food at the moment.

Thanks for your reply. No he is not eating the grass when in the run (though it is barely grazeable as we have 3 bunnies and two guinea pigs in the household). I brought him in for a bit of a run around in fidget's indoor run today (much to her dismay - gave her a few treats to compensate for that :lol:) and he seemed a lot perkier and had a little nibble on some carrot and had a LOT of thyme - he seems to like that a lot. he also made his way through almost an entire wicker/willow basket (those edible ones with treats in but it had kale in it and he didn't want that) When i put him to bed i put his pellets in his sheltered area as he spends a lot of time in there so he might feel more secure.

Thing is, his previous owner had him neutered then he came to me so i wouldn't be going to the same vets but i think i'll take him to mine anyway. Can you book a health check at the same time as a vax?

when you get your bun from the prev. owner, did you get 10 to 14 days worth of the old pellet? Because you are supposed to:

Week 1: 70% old pellet + 30% your new pellet
week 2: 50% old + 50% new
week 3: 30% old + 70% new

If there is a change of diet due to the pellet, that might explain why he's not eating regularly.

then the best guess is that he's not used to your environment, that he doesn't feel secure. But w/i days, he should be curious and nosing around the house. You can groom him daily to gain his confidence in a new environment

Thanks for all the info. I had him inside again today and he seemed much happier and more relaxed and was having a good run around and a sniff of everything and munched his way through herbs, a bit of carrot and some brocoli and when i put him to bed he went straight to his pellets so here's hoping he's feeling better :D

Now just to get him to eat hay. His former owner said he was a fussy b*gger when it came to hay and she mixed readigrass (sp?) in with his pellets but i really would like to get him eating it. Better start thinking! never had a problem with fidget, she consumes about 10 times her bodyweight a day :lol:

I always thought broccoli is not good for human or rabbit. It's very high on Ca, and some of us has concern that it can cause kidney stone.

I have avoid it in the past years, because for the vitamin C, I simply get it from some other fruits or veggies. I simply go w/ other fruits or veggies that has no Ca so I still get the vitamin C

I always thought broccoli is not good for human or rabbit. It's very high on Ca, and some of us has concern that it can cause kidney stone.

I have avoid it in the past years, because for the vitamin C, I simply get it from some other fruits or veggies. I simply go w/ other fruits or veggies that has no Ca so I still get the vitamin C

Hmmmm i read everywhere that they can have it as much as they like but that's a bit worrying. I hate the stuff but always have it cause fidget hoovers it up its her favourite veggie. Off to do some brocoli research........

I know it's a bit late now...but I think you should have given him a little longer to settle in to his new surroundings before getting him neutered.

In which case he should really have been left where he was for a bit longer.

Any rabbit who comes here is left at least a week before neutering, and they don't leave for at least a week after neutering.

I know. He was advertised as FTGH on preloved and i was about to email the lady with the link to the forum so she could rehome him here when i saw his piccy and fell in love. Anyway i emailed her and she said she was rehoming cause she was getting a new housebun and didn't have room for him. Anyway, she had just had him neutered 2 days before (don't know why he was up for rehome so soon afterwards) and she asked me to collect him as soon as i could as the new bun (female) was due at the weekend.

I don't know why she decided to rehome him, why he was up so soon after his neuter and why she was getting a new housebun when she already had him to cater for (and loads of others outside) or what would have happened to him if he wasn't rehomed in time but i'm glad i took him anyway. He seems a lot happier now and has eaten all his veggies and most of his pellets and had a good go of a hay cookie :D

Back