• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hey, little help please.

nickeh.88

Young Bun
Hey, we recently got 2 baby rabbits ( at 7 week old ) Just over a week ago, we got a grey and a white one.

The only problem is, the white one seems to be alot smaller than the grey one.

It stuggles to stand still, keeps falling over and once it falls onto it's side. It can't get itself back up on it's feet.

The grey rabbit is fine, it's got alot bigger. Escapes from the run and chases the cats.

I'm just worried about the white one. Could it be the runt of the group or??

It seems to drink and eat fine.

Any advice?

Thanks, Nick.

7weeks is still young, but his legs should be fine, maybe take him to the vet and explain, maybe he had a broken leg?xxx take him to the vet asap xx :(

It seems to move around alright. Just hasn't got any balance.

What about it being very much smaller than the grey one?

It's about half it's size.

Agreed, rabbits should not leave their mother until 8 weeks of age.

I would take bun to the vets ASAP, don't leave it as buns can deteriorate so quickly.

The only problem is, the white one seems to be alot smaller than the grey one.

Some breeds are different size and this can be obvious from when they are very small. There are often slighlty different sizes of buns even within a little.

It stuggles to stand still, keeps falling over and once it falls onto it's side. It can't get itself back up on it's feet.

If this bun is falling over and cannot manage to get back up without assistance, I would suggest that you should take this bun to a vet ASAP. There is definately a problem which needs to be addressed.

I'm just worried about the white one. Could it be the runt of the group

The runt of a litter is usually smaller and can be slightly behind with developement but this would not cause them to have poor balance.

Not sure if this is a worthwhile suggestion, but lack of balance and falling over could be from an ear infection. Is it a lop eared bunny? They tend to be a bit more prone to these things as their ears don't get the greatest ventilation.

Let us know how you make out and I hope the little guy is ok!

Not sure on breed, we are new to having rabbits. But, their ears are usually up. Not flopped.

They could still be lops because some take a year to actually "lop", but the important part is that they're up and ventilating. Do you see any yellow or white wax when you look down into their ears? Normal bunny ears should be perfectly clear.

Little update... Not too well.

My mother was going to take the rabbit to Vets tomorrow. As none are open today.

And earlier this morning, she found the rabbit on it's side shaking.

It's right side has completly gone. Think it may of had a stroke?

She's called an Emergency Vet and they can't come.

I feel guilty, is it my fault? What did i do wrong?

Other rabbit is completly fine. And is huge compared to the other.

You need to ring a different vet and find one that can see him. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly.

She's phoning. It's a Sunday though. :evil:

Is there anything we can do to help it in the mean while, we keep giving it water and trying to get it to eat. Mother has it wrapped up a little bit.

Abbeydale Veterinary Centre
91 Preston New Road
Blackburn, Lancashire, BB2 6AY
01254 681811

Aldington Equine Vets
Martholme Farm
Great Harwood
Blackburn, Lancashire, BB6 7UJ
01254 888600

Springfield Vets
Springfield Veterinary Surgery
144 Redlam