• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding query

coco1200

Warren Veteran
sorry, i know this is in the wrong section, but i thought it would be seen by more people!

I have got George, my third bun in a run in the garden, and Hermione and Oscar my initial pair are free ranging right now. they can all interact, and smell each other through ther bars. The initial pair are ignoring George (who im trying to bond) and go up to the run every now and then to have a sniff.

well, i'm wondering now that they know each other's scents, should i try and let them all free range together? I know it will end up in fur flying, but should I allow them to fur fly?
fank you!

Last edited:
Doesn't sound neutral enough to me, so likely to end in a major scrap! Is there anywhere you could bond them that none of them have been in before? :)

i'm wondering now that they know each other's scents, should i try and let them all free range together? I know it will end up in fur flying, but should I allow them to fur fly?
fank you!

:shock::shock::shock: If you wish to risk serious injury and also risk the lives of all your buns then let them free range in a totally unneutral place.

If you wish to bond these I would suggest that you follow the normal rules of bonding and have at least 48 hours free where you can commit the total time to the buns, have a small, totally neutral place where you can bond them.

:shock::no: dont be led into a false sense of security,your bonded pair will not appreciate a "stranger" in their garden.Bonding needs to be done as in other posts,ie neutral small area.Good luck:D

The fact that bunnies don't have a go through mesh doesn't mean that they are going to work.

Also free ranging is not an idea at all. How could you stop them from kicking off if you can't catch them?

I had a pair that I bonded fairly recently and the new owners took them home - very much in love. But within a few days they had been let out to free range in what was his (gentle wee boy that he was - 9yrs old) garden. The fur immediately started to fly and they could not be put back in the hutch together. They had to come back to me for a further 5 days to be rebonded.

You need to attempt to bond in a very small area and somewhere where none of the rabbits have ever been. They should also not be able to smell anything familiar - for example you should wear clean clothes and they should have clean/new litter trays etc.

As Janice has said, you also need to give aside sufficient time for you to sit up with them overnight and for a good few days once bonding has started. If you start and then split them up as you have to go to work or similar, you are going to ruin any possible relationships. Once started bonding should never be stopped unless injury is likely.

If there is someone who could do it for you off site, that would be a better option.

Helen

Back