• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House rabbits and people food

giantbunnymummy

Warren Veteran
Is Daisy unusually greedy, or do most rabbits try and get people food when they can?

Yesterday Daisy attacked a bag of couscous as i was putting it away into the cupboard - we had a tug of war which I only won after a cunning distraction plan with a handy cabbage leaf. She then made a flying leap into said cupboard and went on the rampage with an unopened block of cheddar.

She's a terror when it comes to fruit and veg, and thinks all apples are her rightful property. I have to make sure she's shut into the living room if I want an apple ... or we have to play 'a piece for mummy, a piece for Daisy' with it!!

I'm blaming Daisy for my unhealthy eating habits - instead of a bowl of chopped fruit as a snack while working on the computer, I've had to swap to chocolate - the rabbit made me do it, honest :lol:

Fidget is exactly the same! Last night I was cooking tea and she started going mad... I'm like, for god's sake it's a prawn, you can't have it! :lol::lol:

Bella is the same. She rummages through shopping bags if they're left on the floor. I think she believes that she has a right to whatever she finds in there! I can't leave the bottom cupboards open or she's in. We either have to stand up or leave the room if we want to eat fruit, crisps, biscuits, sandwiches, yoghurts, the list goes on. She's even been known to try grabbing an entire plate from you, not just the food on it!!

I can't go in the kitchen without her jumping at me, or if I still pay her no attention she just stands on my feet until I give her something!

She is a proper monster, but I know it's my fault for not being strict in the first place, but I just can't say no to her gorgeous little face :love:

Glad it's not just Daisy then :lol:

Her new thing is scrabbling at my shoes when I'm in the kitchen, until I bend down and stroke her or give her a piece of cabbage or something. She also stands up on her back legs and puts her paws on my legs, desperately stretching higher and higher to reach the food!

I know it's my fault for feeding her little treats in the kitchen, but how could anyone resist that little bunny nose :oops::lol:

:lol: She sounds adorable :p
Charlie won't go near any food other than broccoli and carrot so im okay...

My cockatiel however, thinks ALL food is hers. And she can fly to steal it :shock:

Lola even has to investigate the old phone in the bin liner when I am cleaning out her food. As soon as it hits the bin liner she suddently decides it the most wonderful food in the whole world and delves into the bag to get it.

Sat here eating a banana with four beady eyes watching my every move!:lol:

Lola even has to investigate the old phone in the bin liner when I am cleaning out her food. As soon as it hits the bin liner she suddently decides it the most wonderful food in the whole world and delves into the bag to get it.

Sat here eating a banana with four beady eyes watching my every move!:lol:

:lol::lol:
Charlie runs away from banana! Like he's actually scared of it :roll:

Blue will go for anything. He's stolen all sorts of stuff....pizza, Jammy toast, pasta. He's taken to jumping up onto my lap while I'm at the dinner table which I quite object to.
He's always in the shopping bags too. He'll stael something and then decide that he doesn't like it....but he'll hide it anyway so you can't have it!
I've started getting stricter with him cause some people find it quite intimidating to be harrassed by a bunny while thy're trying to eat.

Deej always jumps on the sofa and tries to climb on you if you are eating a sandwich or fruit. If you leave a plate, cup or any food/packaging on the coffee table he will try to pull it off. Some days he even pulls the coasters off and licks them! :shock:

He will sit by your feet in the hope you drop some crumbs.

If we have a takeaway curry and eat it in front of the TV it takes careful planning, or otherwise he will try to get any unattended bit of it e.g poppadoms, naan bread etc!

He's not really allowed in the kitchen at the moment as he tries to lick the floor (yuck) if he can get anywhere near the carrier bags when I'm trying to take the shopping through to the kitchen he will try to chew through them, or see whats inside.

He has even tried to get in the litter bin in the lounge when it has any food waste in it e.g a muffin case!

Bunnies remind me of dogs/cats, and they are very intelligent/can learn a lot, but not the words NO or WAIT when it comes to food!

Fidget is exactly the same! Last night I was cooking tea and she started going mad... I'm like, for god's sake it's a prawn, you can't have it! :lol::lol:

My Fidget's the same too lol. She stole a biscuit from my hand earlier today and snuck round my back to take a piece of chocolate from my plate and ran off with it last week.

Ronnie is exactly the same! When we eat our dinner, he has to get shut out of the room we are eating on otherwise hes eating off our plates! If we want to eat anything around him, we have to stand, and then hes biting at the bottoms of our jeans/trousers to try and get his own way :lol: If he hears rustling, of like a crisp packet he heads straight for us at like... full speed! :lol::lol: I might laugh at about it now... but i wont in half hour when its dinner time :lol: :roll: xXx

Yep Strawberry is just the same! He will jump on our knee when eating and pinch food off our plates. If I leave a crisp packet on the side he will have his head it in. He tips up plastic beakers to get the drips out the bottom! He will eat absolutely anything!

Gregory is a terror for this. Gretel doesn't seem bothered!

I was once eating raspberries and gave him one. He went so crazy for them he tried to steal one out of my mouth! His other annoying food habit is to jump onto plates if I leave them on the table for a minute - worst when I've had something like curry, which he licks, stands in and then tramples all over my cream carpet!

Here he is with a stolen pizza crust!

Gregory-1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: OMg i thought it was just my buns:lol:

my first bun was the worst..she used to jump up topple the plate and nick your dinner..one night with my youngest she had an onion ring off ehr fork with ehr fork to ehr mouth and then came back for chips:shock:
she stole a sausage one barbeque day..dont ask and her fave thing to try and steal was crispy bacon sandwhiches!!

she was a dental bun and had her carrots grated which the cats ate thenshe retaliated by oging intot he kitchen and eating their felix:shock:
shed also rifle the bags of shopping..one day grabbed a snackpack of mars abrs and ran behind the bed settee with it..we tried everyhting to get her out and in the end had to try and move the broken settee in one piece..whenw e got behind there for a bunw ith no teeth shed got thru the outer wrapper abd the inner one and eaten a chunk of mars bar:shock:

the other norty hungry bun was willow..she could reach the kitchen worktop edge if she stood on her hind legs(bigg frenchie!!) and whatever she could reach or get the cats to knock down was hers. she got into my fruit n veggie cupboard and munched half a potato 3 carrots....half an apple....the cfrusts of bread out the bin..and the bit of cake my daughter left on ths side!!

in fact she got into everything and the bin was a wonderful snackhole..it had to be moved!! she ate anything and everything and NEVER got an uspet tummy at all. she mugged my mum for a banana..not a piece of one..a whole one and i ran itno the lounge to cries of debbie quick shes gonna eat me:oops::lol::lol:

I just decided to have a banana. The buns were sleeping.

As soon as they heard me PEEL the blooming thing they were all over me! They didnt even see me get it, they heard me PEEL it!:lol:

I just decided to have a banana. The buns were sleeping.

As soon as they heard me PEEL the blooming thing they were all over me! They didnt even see me get it, they heard me PEEL it!:lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

ive caught binx stealing crusts offa plate id left on my bed when i went to the toilet and when i opened the door his face was like ":censored: she's caught me!" so he leaps off the bed (crusts still in his mouth) and legged it to the cage.
he also seems partial to cold dregs of tea :roll:

I think my buns are neglected!!!:lol::lol::lol:
I never share my food with them! They don;t even try and steal it - YET!

Although Honey did find a tiny crumb of chocolate on the floor last night (I was eating a curly wurly whilst dinner was cooking:oops:)
She loved it - so no more chocolate around her then. I wouldn't get a look in!:lol::lol:

Back