• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

people with indoor rabbits!

Jazmine

New Kit
:wave:

i have a rabbit kept indoors. but its a nightmare.. i didnt plan on having the rabbit has was dumped on my doorstep, but i was willing to take her in and try, this isnt going well.

was just wondering.. where do you keep your rabbits in the house? what do you use for like bedding and things?just need some help, other wise i will need to rehome as she is takin over my bedroom :(

I have just put on your other thread these are brilliant for building runs and houses.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1236983560310&isSearch=true

This is my set up- Straws is in there all day but gets free run of the house in the evenings and weekends when we are in. Bedding wise he has a soft cat bed but doesnt really use it.

DSCF9860.jpg

I have foamy childrens play mats on the floor covered in newspaper to protect the carpet incase of accidents.

ETA the 2nd level is sectioned off in the pic as I took the photo when I was bonding so needed a smaller area but Strawbs uses all of it now. Its approx 6ft across from left to right and about 3 ft going back.

thats a great NIC set up!

We have a dog crate, a 48" one which is great, and plenty big enough aswell. try ebay as ours was really cheap.

you can find all sorts of indoor cages online aswell, which are great when teamed with some free range time for your bun to run about whilst ur in.

just make sure theres no wires around for bunny to chomp on! you can protect these with plastic tubing etc.

good luck!

lets see some piccies of the bun! ;)

I have two in my bedroom. Wesley is in a 48inch dog crate with an NIC grid run attached. He is on vet bed and fleece blankets. I use megazorb and hay for his litter tray.

Honey is free range in the rest of the room and she just has a litter tray and bed.

That was built with two boxes. Its upstairs in our spare bedroom but we cant bunny proof the whole room as there are some awkward cables that run outside to the shed. So in the evenings we have a 48" dog crate downstairs with a litter tray in and hay and water that we keep open for when Strawbs is out then keep the bedroom doors closed.

do you have pictures of your dog crete set ups? Rachie that set up is great! i would definietly consider that. how do you clean it? like get inside if you get me?

I just gather all the newspaper off the floor and then use a long handled sweeping brush to get all the bits. Its big enough so that I can climb in and sit down if i need to do a big clean.

I will post a pic of my dog crate tomorrow but its just a 48" crate and I stuck some lino tiles to the floor. Then I have a litter tray, a bowl of hay and a water bottle in. Its just so that Strawbs has somewhere to go during the evenings as we close the door to the spare room where he lives during the day. He rarely goes in there to be honest, he is excellent with his litter training now though and only ever goes in a tray. We also put a tray upstairs on the landing for when he is playing on the stairs!

i have 2 indoor bunnies and they have 2 big wire cages which are connected, under my alcove behind the chair so they are hidden really and out of the way so they dont get knocked etc, when im in they are free roaming(living room only) and go to bed at night (they actually go to bed at the same time themselves now). They are trained, they pee in one of their cages (they sleep in the other so tend not to pee in there) and have a litter tray in the corner of the room which they like to use, however they are now 6 years old and in the beginning it took a lot of time and patience really and there was lots of accidents (and litter trays lol) and chewing (they dont chew now, they know not to). Once a bunny has a routine which they like and get settled and has boundaries and neutured they become gentle well trained delightful animals. The person with the indoor set up has a great set up there gave me some ideas thanx

Thankyou Rachie. you have been such a great up. im going to go for a set up like yours. do you think one of those 6 cubes will be enough or will i need more ??

thanks for that website :) will look into that tomorrow :love:

If you already have a cage and are going to use them to extend it then one box should be ok. I would start with one and then you can always buy another and extend it at a later date. Get some netting from a local garden center and put it over the top to stop her jumping out. I just use some normal clothes pegs to keep it in place. I would also get some cable ties for when your building just to make the area more secure.

Not a problem! Glad I could help. Feel free to pm if you need any more advice!

i have an indoor rabbit. it is a pain and the same has happened with me. just have to work round it. i will be investing in some NIC cubes.

People assume house bunnies will be really nice and well behaved but trust me theyre not! Rabbits are wild prey animals and love to dig, chew and generally make a mess!

They CAN be trained to live inside, but it wont happen overnight. We got Strawbs in january and its taken untill now for us to let him out and not constantly watch him. Get them litter trained in an NIC set up, give them plenty of things to chew and give them a little time to call that area there own. Then extend the area they can go in slowly so that they dont slip back into old habits. Strabws is still naughty, we still have to patch up bits of woodwork he has chewed but he is a bunny not a dog and that is expected. If you let them free range in a room you WILL have to protect all cables, even if they dont usually chew them. It only takes one quick bite to go through a live cable!

I would definately recommend the NIC cubes, either as an extension to a cage or to build their area.

i love having oggs in my room, however as he is a chewer, i have to double check on everything that he cant get to anything that would harm him. He lives in my room, and he has his own corner where he stays when im out or in the house but not in my room, but when im in my room he has full range of my room.

001-7.jpg

that is oggies set up. :D

Blue's free range. I started him in the kitchen where it's lino and there was nothing he could chew. It also meant I could wipe up any 'accidents'.
I'm quite lucky though cause there are no real restrictions on me such as other family members because I live with my Oh on our own. He is shut in the kitchen whenever there is noone home or at bedtime but I think if I had to give him an inclosed space then nix cubes are a fantastic idea.
Good luck building him a new home!
x

Charlie has a Thistle Hall hutch indoors, and Mable has an indoor cage until they're bonded and she can go and live with him :)
My friend has her guinea pigs in NIC cubes, they're great :)

Back