• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barney's Eye Op - Photos - pre and post op.

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
I will post a photo tomorrow of how his surgery has made him look now, but for those who are interested, this is how his eye looked prior to surgery.

As you can see, the eye had developed internal problems over the last few weeks - had been changing for a while but only this week had it effected his behavior.

Originally it was just glaucoma with a cataract developing but then over the last wee while, it has had material growing inside it. He was blind anyway, but must have previously been able to see light and dark I would think.

The state of his eye in this picture was what prompted some further opinions on the next step - his meds not keeping his problems at bay anymore.

Still, as he seems brighter already, I think it was the right decision to have the eye removed.

His eye this morning before his trip to the vets.
IMG_2127.jpg

A close up....
IMG_4655.jpg

Last edited:
It doesn't seem as though he could have had much sight at all left in his eye, and as you say, it was starting to alter his behavoiur.....so you have done absolutely the right thing in my opinion. He is SUCH a sweetheart! :love: :love: I hope he has a very speedy recovery from his surgery. xxxxx

Bless him :cry:

What meds was he on ?
One of mine is on longterm Maxitrol and I suspect that the time will come when
enucleation will be needed.

He was on Pred Forte and we were looking at other alternatives but it was too late to make a difference I think Jane.

Post Op Photos

Barney's eye today

Very small area was shaved so it won't take long to come back.

IMG_2145.jpg

A close up of the beautiful stitching! Yay for uncle Nick the vet. (he makes his own ties you know no joking - so he's a dab hand with a needle)

IMG_2147.jpg

Oh wow.....they have done an INCREDIBLY neat and tidy job of that!!! :D It looks nice and clean and dry too....sending more vibes for fast and trouble free healing!!! xxxxx

Thank you!

He's been good all day, although wife, isn't as close to him as she has been. He does smell distinctly of washing powder I think, from the vets vet bed. She was there too but sat in the litter tray.

Sure it's not an issue, but will be keeping a close eye on them.

This is the house of bunny love at the moment so I'm not worried.:D:D

Awww, bless!!! :love:

Mine always act all weird when one of the others has spent time at the vets.....they smell funny afterwards! :lol: It soon goes back to normal, though.....so hopefully his beloved wifey will still see true love through the haze of the funny smells!!! :lol: :love: :love:

How is he doing Helen?

Bean, Truffle, Me and Nick have been sending lots of vibes!!!:love:

Hi James.

He's doing okay thank you. Bit subdued but eating normally. No signs of any pain.

Think his wife will make sure he get's through the initial time of adjustment.

Helen

Thanks all.

Well as far as his physical health goes, he seems fine and is eating/weeing/pooing nicely.

Thing is he is just sitting in one spot and has done practically since he came home, with the exception of coming out for food. I guess he is actually feeling quite depressed. We'll need to spend more time with him to encourage more activity.

Fingers crossed he doesn't give up on us!

Glad things have gone well so far. Well done your vet. :)

I think this vet is fab.

He's done previous bunny eye work on a foster bunny I had a couple of years back and did a fab job then.

Good news is that for the first time in ages, Barney felt comfortable enough to do 'lamby legs' with a full length stretch out..... hope this is a good sign about the pain subsiding for him...

Back