• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Building my own run

**Ilovelops**

Alpha Buck
Well, following on from some swine pinching my lovely new rabbit run :evil: :censored: , I'm now thinking I might make my own.
For those of you who have done, was it worth it? Is it easy and cost effective to build a large collapsable folding run?

I'm not brill on DIY, but willing to give it a go, mainly to try and save costs (I didn't expect to be forking out on a run again! :( )

I've always built my own runs. It's quite easy to build a basic box style one I've never attemped a folding one as I like to have a fixed floor but I wouldn't expect it to be too difficult. Use good strong weatherproof timber, mending plates to hold the corners rigid and bolts where it opens. Attach weld mesh on the inside with U shaped nails, and use hinges where you want it to fold :)

my hubby is just finishing my new run very simple. Not a diy person normally but this run is a way of getting out of the dog house.:lol::lol::lol:
Diane

Yes, it is worth it. If I can build them and I am a girl then anyone can build them. It is a learning curve. I would say build the 4 panels FIRST (4 batons of wood and then weld mesh) then hinge them is the best tip I can give. DON'T build a cube frame and then try to put the mesh on like my better half did (he is an engineer though so he was bound to over-engineer it). If your garden is bumpy like ours then best not to make it too big - another mistake of ours as we have to put bricks at the bottom of some.

We also made a run sooooo big that the curveture of the earth makes it wobble.:lol::lol:.....another overengineered one by the O/H!!

Back