• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Agility/Hurdling/Jumping :D

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I was wondering if anyone else was trying this out? I have been jumping with one of my rabbits since he was six weeks old. He is an expert now lol. I tried this with my other rabbit, Flash who is a 3 year old Dutch cross and he wouldn't even go over a pole laying on the ground. If you buy this months fur and feather magazing there is an article on it. If you want to see some juming, then you should go to Honley show (I'm attending :D , 13th June) or the Ultimate Pet show in Birmingham (4th May). We need more people in the UK interested in show jumping, then we could start clubs and have jumping as an addition to ordinary shows. It makes a nice difference to shows just for 'pretty rabbits' judged on their looks. There are tons of videos on youtube, and also there is some info on kaninhop.dk/uk

I will be happy to answer any questions :D

Last edited:
Oh wow, I never even knew this existed!! I will be doing some animal experiments tonight!!

Although - I couldn't really get my horse to jump, so don't know how I would manage a bun:lol:

Why would anyone want to show-jump a prey animal :?

horses are prey animals too

I have no opinion either way yet - I'm not big on rabbit shows after going to one, but that was cage sizes/lack of water/hay etc.
My friend's dog does agility & loves it

I have no opinion either way yet - I'm not big on rabbit shows after going to one, but that was cage sizes/lack of water/hay etc.
My friend's dog does agility & loves it

I think agility for dogs is great !!
But for Buns.......................:?

Having worked at the Olympia Horse Show I completely disagree with horse show jumping. It was heartbreaking to watch the 'training'. One of the demo crews were rehearsing and the coach took a metal bar to the legs of one horses:shock:

Was physically sick having watched that.

:D

Yes, the rabbits will only do it if they enjoy it, unless of course you starve them and force them to jump for food. My bunny loves it!

I never force them to jump. They do it because they love it, and I tempt them over with a nice bit of carrot (which i give to them afterwards). When you first start, you may need to give them a gentle push to get them over but never force. If you do that they will never trust you.

Well if a rabbit was starving and it's only option to get food was to do tricks then I'm pretty sure it would give it a go. I don't do this though, like I said, one of my rabbits loves it. The other dosen't so I don't get him to do the jumps anymore.

Demi

I'm off to go do some more training now anyway. If it's nice weather tommowow I'm going to start putting hurdles on grass to see if they get distracted easily. I will feed them first with plenty of hay and leave them out on the run so they don't feel like they need more grass once out.

Well if a rabbit was starving and it's only option to get food was to do tricks then I'm pretty sure it would give it a go. I don't do this though, like I said, one of my rabbits loves it. The other dosen't so I don't get him to do the jumps anymore.

Actually the Rabbit would be too ill to do show jumping...........

Think I'll bow out of this thread now

Yeah i suppose so lol. And if anyone was cruel enough to starve their rabbits, I'm sure they wouldn't want to do agility with them.

That's cool. I actually think one of mine would like the jumping part... maybe not the shows as he's pretty shy

It's quite popular in holland I think. None of the rabbits looked stressed out by it. I think it's great to see rabbits getting lots of exercise instead of being cramped up.

There's some clips on youtube if your interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNPOdffkkLo

A scared rabbit isn't going to do a controlled jump in a line over obsticles, it will bolt and/or hide.

Scamp would love it but I'm not encouraging him to jump higher :shock:

Harley has no trouble with height. He is not too good with length though. I just hope he will be OK outside and not be distracted by grass. If he is, then everything is ruined! Anyway, I'm going to give him lots of hay and put him out in the run untill he dosen't seem interested in grazing anymore.

Oh and they Fur and Feather magazine is here (A right rip off) and there is some info on the show jumping. Great pictures and lots of info.

ive seen one video i think.... :love::love:

pearl would probably enjoy it, she loves jumping up on high stuff but im not sure id be very good and patient enough to try it and shes quite a nervous girl so public events would be a deffo no no with her... Alvin is way too lazy tho :roll::lol::lol:

I think its great interaction with buns - I have seen videos of rabbits how have been clicker trained and they seem to love it! I am sure the original poster loves her rabbits and is NO WAY harming her buns - it seems they enjoy it - she didnt say she starved her buns - yet people are pouncing again.

If the bun enjoys it - what a great way to spend time with them - the bond you have with them must be brilliant.

Would love to see some videos, my buns are "professional lying down twitching nose bunnys":love::love:

Back