• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lipless bun has got tooth root abcess..not looking good

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i went to take bertie for his eye ulcer check up and they said it hadnt got any better AGAIN:cry:
then the vet gave capser..our lowerlipless bunny we took on.....and i thought it was muck form where he couldnt eat normally or panacur..so did the vet..she said food etc.then she said oh hold on..oh no. Its a tooth root abscess:shock:

His inscisirs at the bottom have started to cross and bits of flesh remaining from the ijury are stuck in between teetn etc it really is noticeable now.

So hes just had his myxi and she said not a good idea to put him thru an op until the myxi jabs kicked in........
tuesday 24th hes having his four inscisors out and they hopefully can flush the abscess site to see whether or not it has gone to the jawbone:(
considering everything she said its not looking good and maybe hell be 50/50.

OMG i know all pets come to me get ill or seem to have a hidden problem which rears its ugly head once ive adopted them..but this:(

so soon after losing bandit..so soon after getting this litle guy. im not allowed to get near the other buns till ive washed my hands..i do that anyway but its cos its pasturella caused. I had a dental bun who i nursed thru having all 4 inscisors removed...but never a tooth root abscess or a jaw abscess.
bertie had an abscess quite some time back now..on his chin/edge of his lower lip...that was bad enough:shock:

now im off to read up on tooth root abscesses......i feel awful for the poor little chap..nd ellen said we cant neuter him at The sane time as The infections too much might spread and iTd be too stressful for him,

the hting is i hadnT even got petplan sorted yet...and THen i recall..They dont include anything dental related even tooth root ascessess do They?

if tHey do well im truly in trouble but hey we took him on knowing hered be another mouth problem to crop up in the future..just didnt expect this!!
i told her hed had it form the first time we got him home:(

I'm really sorry to hear this, mandibular abcesses are just :censored::censored: to treat and so often your looking at control rather than cure. Mack had problems with his incisors and his came about after infection set in following removal, like your bun it was necrotic tissue and bone which allowed the infection to track in.

It isn't hopeless though, he's come along way already and once the vets have been able to debride the area and perform a C&S test you will be better equipped to help him. :)

Thank you sooz..ive been reading articles like a demon on the net and all my books but i dont have the frances harcourt brown one:(
my vet said she didnt use antibiotic beads as her experince they do not work like they should..she then went on to explain but by then my head was buzzing and i just said uhuh....and glazed over:oops:

she was trying to say how keeping it open as long as possible was the better option to keep flushing the area etc..then i zoned out again....

it wasnt just casper the little buns diagnosis but also the fact despite eevrything weve tried berties eye ulcer stillhasnt gone:(

poor litle casper..the thing is hes so happy and bouncy and nosey and oh so lively its crazy..hes showing no signs of any pain even hidden pai.hes a hyper nutcase who binkies his bits off:shock::lol: hes so fast on the landing he wont stop happy dancing whilst running and ends up in a heap with the cats..which he then tries to hump of course but we wont go there.

bertie..she made me laugh..if hes been holding his eye shut a lot..um he always does with both eyes..hes either a very light sensitive bunny being a REW or extremely lazy frenchie:oops: how do i tell..she just ruffled his head..hes a bit of celeb is our bertie:love:

casper is eating his excel like a horse!! he drinks from a bowl fine but dribbles a bit more obviously but cleans it up right away so hes never damp or wet when you get to pick him up.
he adoresnosey rubs now and his cheeks.....and even is learning bunny puddle stance...
ellen said shes got no idea how old he is..we both maybe soo wrong about him being about a year or less.....hes so clean for an uneutered buck its crazxy how clean he is:shock: unless hes running free then he poos everywhere!

i will have to ring her monday to remind her about a culture swab too.

she was telling me about a bun shes been treating with a facial abscess..and its liely its in his sinuses too...shes using baytril and metrinidazole and its starting to respond to it quite nicely. Its all the anaerobic bacteria that cause the infections mainly i guess.

thank you so much for the encouragement..much appreciated..i feel a bit of a bunny mummy failure again...:oops:

Sorrel had an abcess under her jaw which was excised before I got her.

Shortly afterwards it started seeping pus a little, so I got it checked at the vet and she has been on abx ever since and having it flushed daily/every second day with hibiscrub.

The vet says that I can't expect to cure it at this stage and it's more a case of managing it for the rest of her life but she is a happy bun who loves life and you wouldn't know there's anything wrong with her unless you were told.

good luck with your bun x

:love: donna hun you know what an idiot i am:oops: thanks hun.

sorrels a brave litte bun and has a wonderful bunny parent..i hope shes going to stay fine and improve too...xx

happy hoping thank you for the link...im saving the info ;)

Back