• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Infacol

Phoebesmummy9

Warren Veteran
I'm making up a bunny first aid kit :) and I know theres been threads on this before, but I know some people have Infacol in there kit.
In what instance would you use infacol in a rabbit?
Ive just c&p doseages off one of jacksjane's threads.. Just wondering in what instances would you use it. For example if a bunny stopped eating,drinking,pooing would you syringe feed and give a dose of infacol?

Ive also made up a bunny health file with a big sheet and in beg red letters the vets name,adress,telephone number, and the emegrency out of hours number, general outline of personalitys, when they are fed, what they are fed, and previous problems theyve had and what symptoms they displayed!
Im going away in august and my dad will be bunny sitting so wanna make sure im 100% prepared :oops:

I use it if I can feel a gas bubble in the poorly bunnies tummy. I give 1ml an hour followed by a syringe of cooled, boiled water & probiotic mixed and follow with gastric massage aka tummy rubs.

I tend only to force feed as a last resort, I would much rather the rabbit started eating voluntarily first as it is believed this encourages the stomach to empty as well. Before force feeding you need to be sre the rabbit dosn't have a blockage as force feeding can cause additional problems by producing a back log of partially digested food.

I use infacol when any of my rabbits show they are in discomfort in their tummy.

The classic signs I've noticed are pressing their tummies to the floor, sitting hunched, lying down and stretching out and returning to that position even after I've made them move, refusing food and looking generally miserable.

I give a dose of infacol followed by tummy rubs and getting them to move about. If nothing changes in 30 mins I give another dose and repeat the tummy rubs and exercise. If still they stay the same then I'm off to the vets.

I'm only happy to use infacol though as I check my rabbits at four specific times a day to check they're all eating ok so I spot any signs of them feeling unwell really early.

If I was worling all day and wasn't sure when my rabbit had last ate I'd be off to the vet with no hesitation.

For example if a bunny stopped eating,drinking,pooing would you syringe feed and give a dose of infacol?

I've used this before but only after bunny has been given a gut stimulant by vet for reasons Sooz stated above.

Also if there's a blockage they may well need pain relief

is it deffo a good thing to have in a bunny first aid kit then? Ive lost a rabbit to stasis :( and one of my indoor bunnys Phoebe is very prone to it so I know that catching it and getting it treated quickly is the only way to save bun
Do any of you use baby food to syringe feed, if uve got no recovery sachets?

Edit: Phoebe wont start eating on his own, he normally has to be forced fed and this usally starts him off eating by himself as he gets so peed off with me feeding him :lol:

is it deffo a good thing to have in a bunny first aid kit then? Ive lost a rabbit to stasis :( and one of my indoor bunnys Phoebe is very prone to it so I know that catching it and getting it treated quickly is the only way to save bun
Do any of you use baby food to syringe feed, if uve got no recovery sachets?

I haven't, but I know other people do. I've used recovery & banana & porridge.

I've got some infacol now, but only cos I had one at the vets with stasis last week (he's fine now - some kind of blockage). I tend to build up my bunny first aid kit AFTER the event:oops:

:lol:
Ive learnt my lesson, not being prepared. I feel if i had of been more prepared with what I needed, Piper may of lived, despite my vet telling me I couldnt of physically done anymore for her.
Im only going away for the weekend :lol: but id rather have everything in a kit, ready incase ANYTHING happens. Im s**t hot at recognising when they are going downhill now - but id rather start treatment ASAP esp as it takes 20minutes-ish to get to my vets!

Edit: Phoebe wont start eating on his own, he normally has to be forced fed and this usally starts him off eating by himself as he gets so peed off with me feeding him :lol:

The water is to make sure the stomach ingesta is hydrated and malleable, so I would much rather syringe water and probiotic only for a few hours before trying to send any food down in order to make sure a blockage won't start to form, if there isn't one to begin with.

Back