• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dad and babies

tracy08

Warren Scout
If i kept any of my babies and i let mum and dad back together etc, would he be ok, or do i have to do a bonding thing. Want all my rabbits back as one again (no more babies though) but if i keep the little ones would he be ok. Of course this wont be for a while.

well firstly you will need to ensure all bunnys are neutered and if dad has been neutered be wary he wil be fertile up to 6weeks after the op. after this they need to be bonded in a neutrral area.. sometimes they rememebr each toher and its not a problem other times you need to take it easy and follow normal bondign procedures it all depends o nthe bunnys. x

you would always need to rebond them but you need to think about other things as well such as neutering mum & separating the boy babies off (assuming you have some) at around 8 weeks & you wouldn't be able to put dad back in before they are 8 weeks (assuming he was neutered straight away, or you have to wait 8 weeks after he was neutered).

The boys will need to be kept separate until they are old enough to be neutered at about 4 months & you can get the girls done at the same time. You could then try for another rebond but you might have real difficulty getting dad to accept the boys.......

Basically if you want to keep the babies you are talking about some serious bunny juggling & cost & there is no guarantee that they will work as a group.

thanks. Thumper was neutered last friday and the babies are only 3 weeks, so it works out that by the time they are 8 weeks he will have been done for 6. I cant get the 'mums' done yet till the babies are weaned, this i know. And to be honest i was thinking of keeping a girl if i keep one. Thought if there was two boys then they would fight more. Dont know this i what i have thought. x

Going to get the babies sexed in a couple of weeks when i go and get them vaccinated. Think thats when they are 8 weeks if im right. Hopefully they will tell me i have looked and they look the same lol although i would say they were girls looking at the pics on here in sexing buns ?

If all the boys are neutered, you may be able to get them all together. I have a father & daughter in my group of 9, & 2 sisters. All the others are mixed sex & all neutered & spayed. You do need to rebond on neutral territory though:D

It depends, I would put them together somewhere neutral and see how they are :)

so would you say say it would be better to have the girls sprayed before i put them back together even though the male has been done?

Do you intend to have the girls 'done' at some point anyway?
If so I'd just wait and get the girls speyed too and then try them all together on neutral territory.
Otherwise if you put them all together then are going to get them speyed at some point I would have thought you'll end up having to rebond on neutral territory anyway.

yeah so true, i think i will wait till the girls are spayed at least then its just the once i have to do it. Will jsut have to divide the run up so they can still get out but not to each othe.r cheers.

Back