• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have one of the new P@H hutches?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:
I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of their new range, mainly Primrose Cottage or Orchard Manor?
I wanted to know maybe how they compared with Happy Hutches or Ryedale etc.
Thanks!

We've got two of the Primrose Den's in our garden at the moment:wave:. Can't compare them to other brands as we haven't tried them.

What I would say is that they need a bit of reinforcing on the floor & back wall as the wood is very thin. The roof is quite thin too (hardboard covered in felt). As per usual, you'll need to change most of the bolts for better quality bolts.

At some point this weekend I intend to upload the photos we took as we built/improved the latest Primrose Den - thanks for reminding me!:D

I was looking at them yesterday. Although I didn't look too close, I think they probably rank alongside happy hutch & aren't quite as good as rydale which are very solid. I didn't think the bolts were too bad but you would need some sort of padlock or similar. I have to say that I didn't sick my head inside but I'd always line the inside of my wood with lino so wouldn't be too concerned with is. The roof is better on orchard manor as it is really quite sloping so you shouldn't have a problem with rain sitting on top .

For our own hutch, (1 of the Primrose Den's is Honeybunny's) we went with that rather than the longer Orchard Manor as it looked easier to improve and extend, at half the price.

The bolts are okay, but they don't seem to last very well - to get all technical on you, they're made of bent sheet but we replace them with brass ones from Wilko's which are cast/forged so they are much more solid.
We have both sorts on the Primrose den (which we've had nearly 4 months) and are probably going to have to scrap the original bolts soon cos they're a pain.

Our's is now over 6 feet long, and built onto a big covered run :D There's pictures somewhere on here.....

Last edited:
Thank you all. I figured they would need locks improving etc as I have a lavendar lodge and have had to add to those.
Hmmm i think perhaps them being comparable to Happy Hutch but not as good as Ryedale is what I probably thought.
Thank you x

Oh any idea what the wood is like re. chewing etc?
I've heard some people say that Pets at home hutches wood is a bit soft and bunnies chew them up dead easy.
Just wondering if this may have changed with the new ones too?

I'm not sure I like the new range as much as the the Thistle and Lavendar as some of them seem really thin wood. Also I am confused about the shelf. A piggie could not get up the top and a bun wouldn't fit underneath?

In answer to your question the old range was pretty soft wood and quite easily chewed but some of these new ones look worse.

Also I am confused about the shelf. A piggie could not get up the top and a bun wouldn't fit underneath?

Our buns (around 2kg) fit comfortably under the shelf - they like making burrows in their hay under there!

I guess for a GP you'd need to install a ramp.

I have the orchard manor and it has been very good so far. Easy to put together. We made a run to go on the outside. I like it, even though I would rather spend the money on a new shed myself.

Back