• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hibiscrub

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
What nasties is Hibiscrub (chlorohexadrine) effective against?

i.e. which bacteria...and does it only kill bacteria or other stuff like EC or coccidiosis too??

Cheers...I didn't realise it was effective against Staph Aureus...can it be used topically on a staph infection?

...not that this has anything to do with why I asked...I'm treating 2 of my house rabbits for possible EC and I'm planning to follow the recommendation of the vet at the RWA conference and thoroughly disinfect at 21 and 28 days. I was planning to use bleach but I'm a bit concerned about bleach fumes around the rabbits....so any ideas for an alternative?

Cheers...I didn't realise it was effective against Staph Aureus...can it be used topically on a staph infection?

...not that this has anything to do with why I asked...I'm treating 2 of my house rabbits for possible EC and I'm planning to follow the recommendation of the vet at the RWA conference and thoroughly disinfect at 21 and 28 days. I was planning to use bleach but I'm a bit concerned about bleach fumes around the rabbits....so any ideas for an alternative?

You should be able to use it topically for staph infections.

I frequently use bleach, if the hutches are allowed to adequately ventilate they will be fine. If your hutches are not lined with lino, it would be an ideal time to line them after you have thoroughly discinfected them, that way they will be able to be more easily cleaned.

I think bleech is one of the only disinfectants that is effective. If you let it dry completely it is fine. Note that if your bunnies are on grass you will also have to move the runs. If not it usually takes about an hour for the bleech water to air dry but you can help along by using a clean tea towl to soak up any excess water.

They are house rabbits, so I'll have to hope for a nice day and leave the windows open to air the place

ahhh.....I just let mine run around in a different room for a bit when I bleech their floor. They think it's terribly exciting :lol::lol: Don't forget to do the bottom of the walls/skirtingboard, water bowls, litter trays etc as well if you are really worried about EC....you basically have to get anywhere where bunny pee or noses might have been.

if I'm in a rush I iceskate over the area with a teatowl on each foot :lol:

I didn't think most bleach killed EC?

In between fosters I Jayes fluid it, then I get my steam cleaner out.:love:

A vet disinfectant like Trigene will kill EC and pretty much every other nasty if you follow the instructions. You can get it from most vet supply places like SPH.

One of the speakers at the RWF conference made a good point when talking about different disinfectants. He said the most important part of it is thorough cleaning. It doesn't matter whether it's alive or dead if it's not there anymore...:)

I didn't think most bleach killed EC?

In between fosters I Jayes fluid it, then I get my steam cleaner out.:love:

There isn't a lot that bleech doesn't kill but it needs to be in 10% solution & left for around 10 mintues. Jeys fluid & steam cleaning also effective & yes you do have to actually clean rather than just squirt.

Back