• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how would buns react to new bun?

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
how do you think buns you already have would react to a new bun arriving? or how did anyone elses bun react?

my two are a bonded pair of brothers so have been bonded since the very beginning and love each other so much.

do you think the arrival of any new buns would make them act differently towards each other or me or do you think they would just be curious and not bother too much?

i've always just had the two of them, they've never known any other pets.

reason i ask is that there's a bun advertised somewhere and he's gorgeous. i see alot of gorgeous buns advertised but do you know when one just gets to you??? he's gorgeous and i don't want him getting into the wrong hands so i was going to get him and foster him for the person unti he can be found a new home. (although i would like to keep him!)

just wondered what everyone thought? i know i shouldn't try to go round saving all rabbits and taking them all on, but this little guy has really got to me.

:wave: I'm definatley no expert at this, but I wouldn't bond the bun you want to foster to your two boys. If they do end up getting along, it would be heartbreaking to split him/her up from their bonded group.

my initial pair (boy girl) that I have have been dead close since they were bonded, and have never shown any signs of aggression towards each other. But since the new arrival of my third bun, George (who hasn't been bonded yet) they haven't stopped chasing each other :roll:. then again, it may just be the time of the year, even considering my boy has no plums :lol:.

do they still get on and have a close bond even though they've started chasing each other?

i wouldn't try and bond him with my two, just keep him apart from them and look after him. if they did get on which i'm not sure they would being all boys, i would never split them up again. i could never do that. :)

he has been an indoor bun so he would have to stay in at first but i do have a nice hutch outside he could go in soon, although i am trying to sell it because although it's big, it's only 1 and a half foot high, so this isn't high enough for buns and i'm not sure how big he is. he looks really small, he's a dutch.

i don't know what to do. i'd love to get him and look after him, get him neutered and vaccinated if he isn't already and make sure he is happy etc.

i just don't know how bisc and matt would react. and if they didn't seem happy with the situation i could make sure the bun found a perfect home. but then would bisc and matts bond be different even if the other bun went again?

My rabbits don't bat an eye lid with new buns but they're used to them coming and going now. Some pairs of rabbits can suffer quite badly from referred aggression tho - you prob won't know until you've tried it but generally buns that do suffer with it are fine again once the new bun has been removed.

I would think long and hard about it to be honest. My neighbour found a rabbit wandering down our road, caught it and gave it to me to look after until we found the owner. I just had Bugs & Star then (bonded male and female) who have free run of the garden. I do have a run, so put this found bun in there and both Bugs & Star went mental! They were trying to pull fur etc through the bars and trying to fight through the bars! It was like they were saying, this is our garden, get out!!

Star went on to have some babies, and we still have two of these. They now live in a hutch and the run and Bugs & Star still have free run of the garden. I seperated the babies early as Star started to attack them. Nowdays though, all four bun's can see each other and I have to say the Bugs & Star have kind of 'accepted' Holly & Angel. I am hoping to bond all four together, one day.

So, my experience tells me that 'strange' buns dont get a very good reaction unless you have a huge garden so the bun's didn't see each other!

Hope that helps a little
Wendy

i think your best be tis to foster for a rescue to be honest as if you do take on this rabbit you dont know what costs will be. i say this frmo expieriance as i am not deemed close enough to any rescue to be able to foster for them i have helped out myself with funding the reehab and rehome of a few bunnys the latest being coco. thought i would show you how the costs can mount in a seemingly healthy rabbit if he had been ill as well theer would have been a lot more cost involved...

i have explained about coco below. on your own buns reactions dora and arhtur dont mind coco arthur gets a bit jelous at times and humps dora to say she is his but generally they are fine i never put them in together tho they can see and smell and lick through bars of run, and coco had a quarrintine period before i let him anywhere near my own.

i took in and"fostered" as such a rabbit called coco he is still with me. i am hoping to bond him with my mums rabbits but in failing that i will rehome him or try to bond him ni with my own i fear he wil be hard to rehome elsewhere so far the costs iv paid out

initial myxi vacc...£16.50 and check up with vet,
vhd vaccs £16.50
dental at £80 (he could well need another while he is with me to)
neuter:£48.50 initially
complications with neuter so antibiotics and metacam =£35
more complications with neuter so re stitching him up=£35 and more painrelief
pannacur=£4.50
claw trimming i did my self but if you didnt it would cost around 5-10 pounds and also chaning the diet to better quality food and other treats etc
new litter tray =£5(actually i already had this from previous "fosters"
new hutch and carrier( the carrier i already had and previous fosters lived indoors so hutch will be useful on a more permenant basis for any fosters) £45(second hand including petrol)

right so in total so far he has cost.....
£236 not including the hutch carrier food hay and treats(as i already had these or its justslightly more with my own buns stuff.

all i want to say is although it wont nessacerily be expensive you have to think up the costs before you do this, i was well aware of this before i took on coco i knew he was older and i knew he had been given a rubbish diet and stuck in a hutch for a long long time i knew that i would need to neuter and vaccs/pannacur before i rehomed him and i was able to afford to do this for him, i only took him in as he was in a dire state and i do mean dire in a filthy hutch 4ft cleaned every 2 weeks and never let out. i also knew he was due to be pts so i took him on. i just wanted you to be aware the costs can mount up thats all and i took him on in i think it was october possibly so he has been with me a while so dont think it will be quick and thats just to get him sorted for rehoming... any way fingers crossed i will get him rehomed with my mums rabbit but if they dont bond i will be looking at other possibilitys.

any way best of luck with ths bunny if you do feel its in desperate need and you can help good luck otherwise try local rescues first. if taking bun on as your own then quarrintine first before trying any bonding . x

ok, thanks.

our garden is quite small and bisc and matt have the run of it (supervised of course!) and they have the run of all downstairs aswell so i don't know how they would react to another bun in their space, although both of them are lovely natured and friendly, although i know this doesn't guarantee anything.

i have seen pictures of the rabbit i want to foster and he looks in great condition and the owner said he is healthy and happy but again this person may not know alot about what a healthy rabbit is. but from what i can see he is well looked after.

i have emailed the owner asking if he has had his vaccinations and been neutered etc and i asked about his general temperament, whether he has ever been ill or been to the vets etc etc. i asked lots of questions so hopefully i will get a reply soon.

i was aware of the quarantine but i was going to ask people on here how long that would have to be for? he comes with his own cage but i doubt this will be very big, and i have a spare cage here, the trixie 150 one, although i would probably make him a nic cage upstairs to begin with, with the cage in as a 'base'

i would have to find out all the details and make a decision.

forgot to say, what are the chances of him bonding with my two? i thought it would be very unlikely and probably best not even attempted. unless they just happened to get along, but this happening would be very unlikely i would have thought.

bonding will vary bunny to bunny. if you are taking him on to rehome and not to keep then you need to tell the owner that so they dont feel you have lied to them. i have always been honest about that with owners. i wonder if you take it on to rehome thowhat difference it makes if you rehome or if they rehomoe it? prehaps just offer some advice with homechecking or offer to do some homechceking would be helpful? bun sounds like its not in a dire state prehaps you could help a more at need bun if you are intent on doing this alternativly if for you to keep him then a 2 week quarrintine. x

i emailed and offered advice to the owner about rehoming through a rescue or on rabbit rehome or even asking for advice on here and advice on checking to make sure the bun is going to a good home and will be properly cared for. i don't know if the owner will take any notice though, although from the description given about the bunny, he does seem loved and the owner seems like a person who wants the best for the bun, even if he was referred to as a he once and an 'it' every other time!

i think i will wait to see how my advice is taken and take it from there. i think then i will get a better idea of how the owner feels. if they can be bothered to rehome in a better way then i could offer help with that but if they don't seem bothered about this and obviously can't be bothered then i could consider offering to take the rabbit to rehome or keep.

the other thing is that bisc and matt have snuffles, you may have seen me mention it on another thread, and they are on treatment for that at the moment. i don't know if this would change anything as obviously it can be contagious to other buns, although bisc and matts symptoms are now stable and under control.

i wuld of course take the new bun for a full health check at the vets and keep him in quarantine and treat any problems he may have. also, he will get his vaccinations and be neutered if he isn't already.

what is the general size of dutch rabbits? they always seem quite small and slim from what i've seen. i found one on my old street a while back and she was a dutch and very slim and small.

got an email from the lady and the bun has 'already gone' :(

i dread to think where he has ended up. i just hope he has a nice new home, although she didn't have a clue what i was talking about regarding neutering and vaccinations. :roll:

i can't cope today. what is wrong with people. who gets an animal and doesn't even research before to make sure they know how to look after it properly and everything it needs??? :censored: it's just common sense! :censored:

Back