• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA Website Re: Cosmetic testing

icon_cheers.png
icon_cheers.png
icon_cheers.png
icon_cheers.png
YAY! that really good!

one thing strikes me is, what will happen to all the animals already in testing labs?!

This is great news - I would temper the celebrations though with the need to ensure that any cosmetics you buy are made in the EU...in spite of the ban on imports, I think there is still a risk that companies will somehow find a way to circumvent the law and just shift their testing to countries with awful animal rights records instead, so please be aware!

one thing strikes me is, what will happen to all the animals already in testing labs?!

there are weird rules about that stuff - i imagine animals that are being held but not yet tested on may be rehomed, but any animals already tested on will be PTS i expect, even if it could recover. But as its not an instant ban there will be a phasing out period anyway, so i guess no new experiments will be done, just finishing current ones?

it is great news though! :D

Well this isn't a sudden change, the companies who do this testing will have known the ban was coming so would have ordered or bred less rabbits for this purpose. Once a test is complete the rabbits involved are all slaughtered anyway :(

What constitutes a cosmetic product? Is it things like shampoo and shower gel etc?
I think I'll carry on getting mine from the co-op even if it is a little more expensive.

Well this isn't a sudden change, the companies who do this testing will have known the ban was coming so would have ordered or bred less rabbits for this purpose. Once a test is complete the rabbits involved are all slaughtered anyway :(

What constitutes a cosmetic product? Is it things like shampoo and shower gel etc?
I think I'll carry on getting mine from the co-op even if it is a little more expensive.

Think its more makeup

there are weird rules about that stuff - i imagine animals that are being held but not yet tested on may be rehomed, but any animals already tested on will be PTS i expect, even if it could recover. But as its not an instant ban there will be a phasing out period anyway, so i guess no new experiments will be done, just finishing current ones?

it is great news though! :D

there was a law brought in tho i cant qoute it but it deemed any animal used in testing no matter if could recover or not had to be pts i knew someone once whose wife worked in a test lab medical nto cosmetic adn she said it was the reason she left as at least before she knew some of them could recover and be rehomed where as they now had to be pts to stop any suffering no matter what was done.... i dont know how true that was or if it was her companys policy at the time but she siad it was a legal thing brought on by protesters at the site. i am against animal testing and cruelty myslef.

there was a law brought in tho i cant qoute it but it deemed any animal used in testing no matter if could recover or not had to be pts i knew someone once whose wife worked in a test lab medical nto cosmetic adn she said it was the reason she left as at least before she knew some of them could recover and be rehomed where as they now had to be pts to stop any suffering no matter what was done.... i dont know how true that was or if it was her companys policy at the time but she siad it was a legal thing brought on by protesters at the site. i am against animal testing and cruelty myslef.

Yeah, sounds about right. thats what we are taught at college when we do our Home Office Licence modules. I think part of it is so that no potentially hazardous agents are accidentally released with the animal and to ensure that such animals cannot breed (deliberately or accidentally) incase the testing caused mutations. i know they do rehome animals used for training purposes, breeding and otherwise untested though

Back