• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cloud got homeless again

ZakuraRabbit

Mama Doe
This is how a rabbit hutch looks like when half of the snow and ice lying on my roof falls down upon it:shock:
Ironically the unused cage was fine, Cloud's cage however is completely busted:cry:
P1010001-3.jpg

P1010002.jpg

This is part of the cold culprit:
P10100012.jpg
:shock:
Thankfully the rabbit is fine, since his roof didn't completely collapse but I imagine he must have gotten quite a shock, I had to make him a makeshift cage in the run, since the walls in the spare cages weren't done yet I had to make one.
P10100022.jpg

As long as he doesn't break out I guess he's better of in there. He's got more room and even lady neighbors. I think Aroma might even be interested in him...at least he's interested in HER. :love: But as an un-neutered pair I can't put them together...

Dont understand pictures.

Glad he is Ok :)

The hutch is all but collapsed at once side.
The door was covered up too, and is actually crooked now but its not visible. (The water bottle got crushed too but luckily I could just bend it back out and there's no cracks)
Does it help seeing what it used to look like?
P1010157.jpg

Yes the before and after photos make sense of it!
I'm pleased to hear Cloud is okay cos it must have made one hell of a noise when the snow slid on to his hutch :(

I'll say it again then shall I, a rabbit was living in that:shock::shock:,poor animal:cry::cry::cry::cry:

i guess its always good excus to buillda bigger better cage! :) im glad he ok as it probebly scared him a lot. whats the plan for the enw permenant hutch/run combi? assume the one u putting him in was temperary?! x

i guess its always good excus to buillda bigger better cage! :) im glad he ok as it probebly scared him a lot. whats the plan for the enw permenant hutch/run combi? assume the one u putting him in was temperary?! x

Well technically, but that is supposed to be a "permanent" cage.
Hutch-run combos don't work very well here because they keep collapsing under the snow. (This is Norway. Not the UK) You can see bits and pieces of a run in the picture as well but they're not much in use because of the snow, instead I have to set up simple runs for the buns to use every now and then, which have to be taken down before the night or they may freeze stuck or break. There's not many places to put them either till spring.

I'll say it again then shall I, a rabbit was living in that:shock::shock:,poor animal:cry::cry::cry::cry:

It looks like that because the snow had fallen on it and damaged it. I dont think it looked like that when the bun was actually living in it. The before pics look fine. I dont think us in the UK appreciate the damage snow can do in colcer countrys.

Hutch-run combos don't work very well here because they keep collapsing under the snow. (This is Norway. Not the UK) You can see bits and pieces of a run in the picture as well but they're not much in use because of the snow, instead I have to set up simple runs for the buns to use every now and then, which have to be taken down before the night or they may freeze stuck or break. There's not many places to put them either till spring.

You can get sturdier wood - admittedly although you have heavier snow & ice, we have to cater for the weight of foxes

It looks like that because the snow had fallen on it and damaged it. I dont think it looked like that when the bun was actually living in it. The before pics look fine. I dont think us in the UK appreciate the damage snow can do in colcer countrys.

Gee no. Of course it wasn't like that before. He stayed in there with the hole for maybe a couple of hours until I discovered the damage.

You can get sturdier wood - admittedly although you have heavier snow & ice, we have to cater for the weight of foxes
Get over here and build me one then if you think its so simple:roll:

Sorry if I sound snappy at times but I've gotten "advice" before to make a better run. I've been trying to find a system that works in winter before and I haven't figured out any. First I tried to clear of the snow of the roof of the run but I had to do it every single day and it still broke. +I still need it to be easy to clean out later.

Gee no. Of course it wasn't like that before. He stayed in there with the hole for maybe a couple of hours until I discovered the damage.

Get over here and build me one then if you think its so simple:roll:

I didn't say I built one did I? I said you can get sturdier ones than the ones in your pics.:roll:

oh fair enough what sortv size are you making it adn how on earth do you end up making it snow proof? or are you moving bun indoors?

oh fair enough what sortv size are you making it adn how on earth do you end up making it snow proof? or are you moving bun indoors?

The new cage is the size that you see in the picture, and its inside.
This is the first time I've ever had a HUTCH collapse under the snow however:shock: The other one was fine, despite being exposed to the same pressure. (But that one was up against a wall so maybe that stopped it a bit)

Build a run like this
000_0964.jpg

I keep it covered over all the time like this
000_1149.jpg

So when it snows it stays completly dry inside i just scoop it off so i can get the rabbits in and out:)

000_1178.jpg

Build a run like this
000_0964.jpg

I keep it covered over all the time like this
000_1149.jpg

So when it snows it stays completly dry inside i just scoop it off so i can get the rabbits in and out:)

000_1178.jpg

That looks nice. If I could only get someone to help me build it for me... Or have my dad build it once he finishes the hutches he promised me two years ago..

Bur er... we get way more snow than that. :lol: I can't just scoof it of, I have to dig them out...often every single day.

That looks nice. If I could only get someone to help me build it for me... Or have my dad build it once he finishes the hutches he promised me two years ago..

Bur er... we get way more snow than that. :lol: I can't just scoof it of, I have to dig them out...often every single day.

I had to dig them out a couple of times:lol: but the actual inside of the run stays dry

Back