• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advise please

TeddyPatches

Warren Scout
Teddy had his castration on monday but he's been biting his wound and it's getting swollen so the vet gave him a collar and metacam and baytril. The metacam is making his poop go really runny and the collar is preventing him from eating it and making him get it all over himself! He's booked in at the vet later but was wondering if anyone could suggest another way of stopping him getting the stitches, and are there any alternatives to metacam?

Thank you

Hi my vets wont use collars on rabbits as it prevents them from being able to eat and as bunnies need to eat constantly this could be fatal.

I have seen a few bunnies with tiny baby grows on to stop them getting to the stitches.

i've taken the collar off as I agree with the fact that they can't eat with them on. Would a babygrow work? i'm worried that he would just bite through it? Also how does it go on so that he can still poo and wee through it?

Teddy had his castration on monday but he's been biting his wound and it's getting swollen so the vet gave him a collar and metacam and baytril. The metacam is making his poop go really runny and the collar is preventing him from eating it and making him get it all over himself! He's booked in at the vet later but was wondering if anyone could suggest another way of stopping him getting the stitches, and are there any alternatives to metacam?

Thank you

I think it's probably the Baytril that is upsetting his tummy, not the Metacam. You need to consult your vet.

Hmmm I guess its not as easy with a male bunny would be easier to modify a babygro with a female bunny.

I read on another thread someones tip was a special apple spray from the vets which stopped them chewing at the stitches and also giving them lots of other things to chew on like toilet roll tubes filled with hay to take their mind off the stitches.

I got my bunny done a couple of weeks ago and the vet said if he started nibbling at the stitches it could be a sign he was in pain and to pop him back to the vets.

When i had one of mine castated he had to wear a collar for 2 weeks i had 2 though, the poo will be the poo he should be eating,claude ended up with it all over his collar so i bought 2 so i could wash them inbetween

Hmmm I guess its not as easy with a male bunny would be easier to modify a babygro with a female bunny.

I read on another thread someones tip was a special apple spray from the vets which stopped them chewing at the stitches and also giving them lots of other things to chew on like toilet roll tubes filled with hay to take their mind off the stitches.

I got my bunny done a couple of weeks ago and the vet said if he started nibbling at the stitches it could be a sign he was in pain and to pop him back to the vets.

Just a word of warning about the bitter apple spray. I tried using it on the base boards so Julie wouldn't chew them and she loved the stuff and chewed more. My vet said some bunnies like the taste of bitter stuff so you might want to try it before putting it on him.

i think the only thing you can do is keep a wathc on him 24/7 where possible. you can try a colalr but most buns hate them try and get his mind off the stitches.. metacam dulls the pain so it should mean he licks/bites stitches less.... i had this recently ith coco giving hi ma small excersisee pen and some places to hide and lots of treats constantly and a lot of attention was the best way to distract him x

Hiya - we had the same problem with our Coco. I ended up using a collar for 2 weeks, I hated it cos he really disliked wearing it but there was no way I wanted him splitting or infecting his wound and then having to go under anaesthetic again! We took it off for about an hour a night but hovered over him like a hawk cos he went straight for his scab.

The room where he lives was a complete pooey mess every morning (and he's white so that wasn't good either), I hand fed him some of the less runny ones so that at least he was getting some of the nutrients back. Good luck! x

PS, I came home one afternoon and he'd managed to get the collar off :roll:, so I ended up having to sellotape it to make it stronger.

Daisy had a collar on for 2 months after her spay:( [no I didnt forget to take it off,she got a real bad infection leading to lots of necrotic tissue-vet didnt think she would make it].I stuck hay through the bars of her hutch so she could reach it,hand fed her many times a day and managed to fix a bowl so she could get into it with her collar.I'm glad to say she proved them all wrong,got better and at the min is demolishing my shed [with Loppys help]:D

Back