• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best Flooring for Cage?

sidereus7

Mama Doe
I want to build a NIC cube condo for my rabbit, but I'm not sure what kind of flooring to use. She's only about 2 months, so she's still very bad at the whole litter training thing :)roll:), so I want something that will protect my carpet.

I've heard of using vinyl tiles, but won't my rabbit have no traction if I use that?

I've heard of carpet tiles too, but she loves to eat carpet and she's unsupervised when I'm at work for 10 hours a day, so I don't want to risk a possible blockage.

Any ideas?

We have 4 rabbits split into pairs so our NIC setup is in two halves. I use viynl on my side (v. easy to clean - i just sweep up the mess poo/hay daily and wipe down/disinfect weekly.) I think this floor helped finally litter train my pair as they dont like weeing on it as it will splash them :lol:haha

The other side is carpet and obv better for slipping rabbits. These rabbits still wee on the carpet though and the dark colour hides it but also means can never tell if they have been until u put a hand/foot in it!! hehe

One of my buns has no trouble with the viynl, he happily jumps up and down with no slipping. My other daft bun slips only when she jumps down so i brought her a cheap rubber doormat from wilko's and put them on the levels, they rarely move about and give her a non-slip area to jump down from :D

edit: heres some pics of ours:

100_0799.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0798.jpg

100_0803.jpg

Last edited:
put the vinyl tiles down and then pet blankets over the top to stop her slipping. then just take the blankets out to wash if she wees on them. :)

I have used fleece and i thought it to be practical and easy to clean. Plus it doesnt hurt their feet, and the fleece will have a wick affect with the wee.

Back