• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid vets! Metacam question?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
Thank God for this site and the information it arms us with!! I've just been to pick up Daisy after her Spay. She hadn't been given a metaclop injection and they told me she wouldn't need to go home with extra painkiller as she'd had a 24hr one!!! I was not amused and demanded painkiller! After waiting ages they've given me Metacam for cats 0.5mg/ml I have to give 0.6ml once a day! I've never had buns before so I don't know what the difference with cat and rabbit metacam is please could some one advise if this is OK? Before I left she also gave a metaclop injection! This is the same vets that didn't give painkiller for Matildas stasis last weekend grrr!

There isn't a 'rabbit' Metacam, just a cat or dog one....with the cat one being weaker. That sounds fine to me.

Was the spay today and did they give metacam today. Check that the syringe they gave you is a small 1 ml one and not one large one in the box.

Thanks Sooz phew!! do you think it would be better to split the dose so she gets 0.3 every 12hrs!

Raine the syringe is a small 1ml with 0.1 gradations!

ETA yes the spay was today and they gave a shot that should last 24hours!

The dosage would depend on your buns size etc. Don't take my word for it but for our buns it was a 0.3 dose for a 1.4kg bun.

When rabbit was speyed i dont remember her having any painkillers :D

Thanks Sooz phew!! do you think it would be better to split the dose so she gets 0.3 every 12hrs!

Raine the syringe is a small 1ml with 0.1 gradations!

ETA yes the spay was today and they gave a shot that should last 24hours!

If she has had an injection of metacam today, she will not need any orally until tomorrow :)

Thank you! I'll give her some more first thing tomorrow! She's eaten some basil and parsley so now awaiting the arrival of poo!

Last edited:
Yep if she's had a metacam shot today she definitely shouldn't have any more until tomorrow. It is actually a bit of a tricky balancing act - on the one hand of course you don't want the buns to be in pain, but equally if you take all the feeling away, she won't realise that she's actually had quite a major operation and is at higher risk of 'overdoing it' or ripping her wound.

But if they don't routinely give metaclop after ops like that, I think I'd possibly consider changing vets in the future :?

Yep if she's had a metacam shot today she definitely shouldn't have any more until tomorrow. It is actually a bit of a tricky balancing act - on the one hand of course you don't want the buns to be in pain, but equally if you take all the feeling away, she won't realise that she's actually had quite a major operation and is at higher risk of 'overdoing it' or ripping her wound.

But if they don't routinely give metaclop after ops like that, I think I'd possibly consider changing vets in the future :?

Thanks Alison! I have that list of alternative vets you sent last weekend so Im going to look into changing. I'd be too worried taking my buns to this vet if there was something major wrong don't think they'd have a clue!

You might find another one nearer to you just as good, I don't know any vets north of Witham I'm afraid! Definitely sounds like it's worth making a few phone calls anyway :)

my vets and the other i use in glos give a 24 hour pain releif you are welcome to come back up for more should you feel the bun needs it but tehy prefer not to overload the system. metacam like many medicines isnt liscensed for rabbits and while it has been perfectly safe you wil lgenerally be given the cat one rather than the dog one. 0.6ml sounds a lot to me.... i think my coco had 0.2 or 0.3 mls... sorry cant remember now.... but i did have the cat one. the dosage geos on wieght so maybe if its a large rabbit idont know. personally i would se how she goes without the metacam and give it if you feel she needs it. the most important thing is she is kept warm overnight as she cannot regulate her temperature after the anestetic. get her eating and pooping too. x

metacam like many medicines isnt liscensed for rabbits and while it has been perfectly safe you wil lgenerally be given the cat one rather than the dog one. 0.6ml sounds a lot to me.... i think my coco had 0.2 or 0.3 mls... sorry cant remember now.... but i did have the cat one. x

The majority of members on here are given the dog Metacam by their vets (myself included) as, because it is more concentrated, the rabbit needs a smaller dose which means you have less medication to wrestle into them.

Therefor, whilst 0.6ml would seem on the high end of the dog Metacam scale, this is not the case with the cat Metacam.

The majority of members on here are given the dog Metacam by their vets (myself included) as, because it is more concentrated, the rabbit needs a smaller dose which means you have less medication to wrestle into them.

Therefor, whilst 0.6ml would seem on the high end of the dog Metacam scale, this is not the case with the cat Metacam.

oh prehaps tehn i had the dog one! sorry jsut got a bit confused i guess thanks for advice! :) x

although Daisy has a sweet tooth she didnt want the metacam I managed to get about 0.2mls into her then it was no go! She perked up a while after that and has been munching bits of parsley and basil leaves she's not interested in anything else, so it's little and often! I hope she's not in pain but shes not showing it if she is! I'm quite happy that all is ok. How long does it take for them to be back to full strength where they can jump up things and zoom around at full speed?

although Daisy has a sweet tooth she didnt want the metacam I managed to get about 0.2mls into her then it was no go! She perked up a while after that and has been munching bits of parsley and basil leaves she's not interested in anything else, so it's little and often! I hope she's not in pain but shes not showing it if she is! I'm quite happy that all is ok. How long does it take for them to be back to full strength where they can jump up things and zoom around at full speed?

should eb around 10 days dont let her jump too soon x

it wil vary bunny to bunny just build up excersise time sllowly your vet should do a 2 day and a 10 day post op check to make sure the wound is all healing niceley x

Back