• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice please

Maria786

Warren Scout
My rabbit who is about 6 months old now is free range almost 12 hours a day, in the back yard (and kitchen) which has concrete slabs and a little patch in the middle where I have planted grass seeds so hopefully grass will be along soon for him to munch on. Anyway, his poo has become black whereas it used to be sort of dark greenish with the loads of hay he used to consume. Now he just runs around in the garden and digs at the soil in the patch, I am afraid he might eat a worm or some other nasty insect that could hurt him.

Is that ok to leave him? He hates being cooped up, do rabbits get worms if left in the garden to munch on dirt like that? He has had his mixomatosis jab and will be getting his VHD on Monday when I get him neutured.

Shall I ask for something while I am at the Vets on Monday? I am afraid something out there might hurt him!

I think it is unlikely that he will eat any worms or other insects. I would suggest that the vet checks his teeth when he gets his check up on Monday. If his teeth aren't right he may have stopped eating hay which will change the colour of his poo.

Also I wouldn't advise getting him neutered and VHD vaccinated at the same time. I would leave it at least 2 weeks after neutering before getting it done :)

In my personal experience, I've found that my rabbit does big black poos after he eats his vegetables. Maybe your rabbit is eating a lot of vegetation (grass?) out in the backyard? But I would definitely keep an eye on his hay consumption.

dark poos normally indicate there full of nutrients :D so are pooping out the extra stuff there bodies don't need. Our rabbits have golden poo's in the morning (after a night on hay) and then are alot darker in the evening (after all day out in the garden) so definatly after grass/greens there very rich. :D

If theres grass seed on the grass i would keep your bunny off it until the grass is well grown. I have no idea if the seeds would be bad but at the least having a bun stomping around on them will stop the grass growing :D hehe

Back