• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering aftercare question

lh_111

New Kit
Hi there,

My 8 month old buck was neutered yesterday. My OH had to take him as I couldn't get the time off work, and didn't ask all the questions I would have done etc. Bun seems fine in himself, was a little lethargic when first home but perked up quickly and is eating and pooping fine. However, I had expected him to come home with some antibiotics for a few days - and possibly some pain relief? Is it normal to no meds to be prescribed? (I am assuming he would have had a couple of shots whilst there). This is the first bun I have had neutered so not sure if it is common practice - apologies if it is a daft question!

At the mo I have him indoors in a small 'apex' stule hutch-run, but feel a bit cruel keeping him cooped up, although he doesnt seem very bothered at the mo. Could I allow him to be free range in one room whilst he is recovering, or best to restrict him whilst healing?

Any thoughts regarding the meds would be very much appreciated. I am rather concerned.

Thankyou x

The vets usually give a long lasting painkiller so I wouldn't worry about that. If he is eating and pooing then all seems well :)

There is no reason why you can't let him out to stretch his legs. Just make sure he stays on the floor rather than jumping all over the places etc :)

We normally give a 24hour painkilling injection and arrange for the bun to be rechecked in 1-2 days rather than sending him home with meds- if the bun isn't recovering well we want to see him. Yours sounds to be doing well though :)
There is a danger of bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics which is why vets tend to only use them where necessary rather than after every op as routine these days.

Thankyou very much for the replies - has helped put my mind at ease. He hasn't been given a standard check up appointment - is more a case of monitoring him and they will see him if anything seems out of the ordinary. Do you think thats OK? I am trying to keep his living area spotless to minimise any infection risk. One more question (sorry!) - what is the best way to check the wound? He is not a bun who enjoys being held much, and I'm scared that if I take a peek he may kick out and cause himself damage. Apparently he has glue rather than stitches.

Thanks for your help x

That's fine so long as you keep an eye on him.
Glue is fine.
I can't think of an alternative to picking him up to check the wound i'm afraid :)

glue is fine in fact most buns find it easier as they can pull the stitches out. you will need to check him regularly ie 2x a dy really by picking him up...if you cant do it you need to make an appoint with vet nurse to check it.. tbh i would anyway our vets do a free after op 2day adn 10 day checkmake the appointment anyway its bettter safe than sorry our coco was a wriggler and i found it hard to tell what swelling was normal or not(unlike arthur who i could see it was fine) if i hadnt had the appointments things could have been worse as it stood he opened up the wound and pulled out an internal bit adn had to be restitched.. he was on metacam and baytril then for a week or so ... artur on the other hadn had 24 hour injection at teh vets and needed nothing else after. neither did dora.

You'll still have to pick him up to put him in the basket though, unless he's very well trained...:lol:
Seriously though, a nurse check is a good idea :)

Oh he's not that bad at being picked up - just isn't overly keen on it. Normally not an issue - I'm just worried that if he struggles he might open the wound. I'll see if he'll let me have a look when I'm home from work. Think I'll book him in for a check up in a couple of days then. Thanks x

Back