• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what hay is really soft but good? for liplessbun

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:wave: ok weve been trying him on everything we have..the vets recpetionist said he wouldnt eat hay when he was being nursed daily..until his necrotic lip fell off.

but i got him and he was having a good go at a hay cookie..it took him a week to eat it...and i gave him our dustfree hay stalky meadow mix.....he love dit but has so much trouble eating it. So we have some fine meadow hay with mint in.hes tried to eat that too...and our green timothy hay.
hes not eating as much hay as he should..i evens topepd his pellets but he didnt eat anymore hay even then.

so im guessing as the remaining tissue is now a sore gum for watn of a better description and he has no lower lip to help him hold the hay etc..would he have too many problems eating hay anyway?
do you think a softer hay would be easier..and if so..can you recommend one?
thank you:wave:

Have you tried cutting it up? Bunnies use their lips to pull food in much like we do with spaghetti, so if you cut the hay into short strands he should find it easier. :)

Thank you ill try chopping the stalky hay up but i will also order some orchard grass and the soft one form the dust free hay company...i need to order a big bale ofstalky one anyway for bif n bertie and mums bun;)

how did i not think about chopping his hay up...DOH!:oops:

Would he find grass easier? You could grow it in trays, or maybe pull some up for him (chuck what he doesn't eat within 10 mins or so away so it doesn't go manky), I used to do this for my incisorless buns, especially as Mary had molar problems too.
I also fed hay pellets amongst their regular pellets to add more fibre to their diet, not sure if you can get them anymore as I ordered them from Bunny Basics, I think there's a similar thing for horses that may be suitable though

:wave: im going to have a word with the vet tomoro and a lady who has disabled injured buns and see if she can recommendanything too.

the grassideas a great idea but all the time my fence panel and therfore also my cat netting is down i darent even open the door cos of my two kits escaping with no brain between them and salem and his heart murmur:roll:
dont i pick my pets:lol:

if i grow it indoors ill probably kill it like i did my coriander:oops:

roll on fencing guy having time to fix my fence..;)

Back