• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding two unspayed females

I'm posting this on behalf of a forum buddy that seems to be having problems with their internet or summat...

A friend has just got a rabbit from a horrible rescue that also backyard breeds (Only rabbit she had as she is mainly a guinea pig hell hole) And she's having trouble bonding it with her current bun (her other one Lucy got caught by a fox ) Anyway i didn't have time to tell her about spaying etc. They are two un-spayed female rabbits.
I want to know how to approach her and also how i should bond them (I'll do it for her)

I wouldn't attempt to bond two un-neutered females as it will almost certainly end up in a massive fight and blood being drawn.

I wouldn't attempt to bond a bunny at all if it's un-neutered unless it's because it's not mature and there are no hormones.

This person needs to be advised to get them neutered first before you attempt it. If the bunnies are too young to be neutered then the bonding will need to wait until they are.

If nothing else, you can tell her about uterine cancers affecting females (80%) if not done by the age of 4-5.

Then you will need a few weeks for the hormones to die down, a totally neutral small area like a downstairs loo or similar, and time to watch them when you put them together.

It is possible, but not as likely to have a successful bond from two females, but good luck.

yes even more so actually sadly. best thing to do is to get both spayed. then once a few weeks(4) have passed and both have a clean bill of health get them in a neutral small area and introduce them be aware the easiest combination is a neutered male and neutered female however i have had several both female pairs in the past including one unnuetered pair of sisters.. tho i did get them neutered once i learned baout uterine cancer also they were exception rather than rule as even sisters who have grown up together usually fight at sexual maturity. x

thanks for that

just an additional hypothetical question, is it the same with two unneutered males ?

Yes definitely the same even more so! They are likely to kill each other if left, at best they will probably have a horrible fight and draw blood.

Back