• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Haircuts?

hok9

Young Bun
I have heard things about people shaving cats for the summer when it gets hot. Do people do that for rabbits too?

I trimmed the belly/bottom fur on Rambaldi a while back. He is a Lionhead X and sometimes gets a bit of poo stuck but he hates to be picked up so some fellow RU'ers suggested trimming him. I only trimmed his belly/bottom area though and would never dream of trimming anywhere else.

If he was an angora or even a full Iionhead I might be tempted to trim some off - especially with angora's. I am not an expert though so I am sure other people can give better advice.

Emma

i posted on here recently as Gizmo is a lionlop and due to the fluffy face he can't see very well and runs into things :roll::roll: so i give him a trip around his eyes [carefully :shock: ] he is a little fluff ball but in general bunnys will malt so they wouldn't need trimming as they will get rid of fur if they are too hot... i also get both yoshi and gizmo trimmed around the bottom in summer to make sure it stays nice and clean to avoid fly strike :)

Probably not so much in the UK as we don't really get extremes of temperature - what sort of temperature range are your bunnies likely to encounter?

The only thing I need to shave is when their feet's fur is matted due to urine spots, as such, it can't breathe, thus, must be shave off

but I don't have to do that in the past years as I no longer use litter tray, because as they pee on litter tray in the past, the litter tray holds the urine, and the urine flows around, thus got on their feet. Now I use towel, at their favorite urine spot, so as they pee, the towel soaks the urine

Merry is a lionhead and has her "mane" trimmed every couple of months, she is always much happier when it is done too - must be more comfortable for her.

I think Charlie might need his "mane" trimming, it's half way down his back and when he flicks it forward, he can't see :roll:

Probably not so much in the UK as we don't really get extremes of temperature - what sort of temperature range are your bunnies likely to encounter?

Its not that bad here now, but in the summer it can be very hot and humid. I am at the mercy of the building manager with the AC and I hear its not that great when its on.

Back