• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Please help - Deaf and Blind rabbit

Hello, I need some advice desperately.
I have a 5 year old French Lop rabbit who has been deaf ever since I got her (2 months old). I noticed a problem with one of her eyes on Sunday and believed that she had gone blind in it ,but still seemed to react with the other eye. I took her to the vets last night and he said she is now blind in both eyes. He was suggesting a referral but said consultation tests and any possible treatment would cost around £1000 and there was no guarantee it would help. He is going to try to treat her for a parasite and see how she goes.
She does not appear to be in any pain, eats will and still throws newspaper around her cage, but I am worried about her quality of life being deaf and blind.
I have read a lot of posts about rabbits who are deaf or blind being perfectly happy but not found anything on deaf and blind.
I am really upset about the thought of losing her but don't want her to be unhappy.
Please help.

Dan

Hello Dan.

I am guessing that your vet is treating for EC, which is a parasite that gets into the blood stream and travels to various organs. Bunnies can have problems when the parasite causes the eye to bulge from behind. It is only one possible cause of eye problems though.

I have a blind bunny who has had one eye removed already (glaucoma) and the second has been going the same way for some time. In fact he hasn't seen properly for about 6 months or so.

Following a trip to our senior partner at our vets, who has vast experience with eye problems, we have decided to remove the other eye.

The pressure in his remaining eye was tested (with a special piece of equipment called a Tonopen) and it was seen to be higher than it should be and is there fore causing at least discomfort and at most severe pain.

We have jointly decided to remove the second eye now. He is 6 but if we don't take this risk he will continue to suffer to some degree and it's likely that he would eventually need to be PTS.

My bunny doesn't mind not seeing too much I don't think - he gets around very well indeed as he has a partner rabbit who basically acts as his eyes.

So, I guess treating for EC (if that's what your vet suspects) is certainly worthwhile anyway - 28 day course of Panacure worming paste. But I don't know whether it would bring back any sight. It may be that the granulomas caused by EC are pressing on the optic nerve and this might be his thinking - I am a lay person so am just guessing.

What I would say is don't give up on your bun if it can't see - you can still give her a lovely life, preferably with a friend. The most important thing is that the bunny is pain free and so long as this is the case, there is no reason why she can't enjoy a fulfilled life.

If you aren't convinced by your vet, I'd seek a second opinion just to confirm the best way to move forward.

All the best.

Helen

i don't really have any advice but just wanted to wish your bun the best and i think if she could have a friend that would be great and there is no reason why she shouldn't be happy even being blind and deaf. good luck with everything. :)

I got another rabbit with her 5 years ago but had to split them up after about a year as Sweep kept attacking Sooty (the poorly one) I've tried to introduce them a couple of times since but Sweep still goes for her. They are both girls and both neutered.

I understand that she may not get her sight back but want to know whether she can still have a good life without hearing and seeing, so long as she is pain free. She can still smell me and seems to react to that when I get near her.

yes, i think she could have a good life still if she was pain free. what about another bun from a rescue to bond with her or is this not an option at the minute? :)

I have a deaf and blind house bunny and he is a very happy little man. He gets around quite easily and quickly senses when food is coming etc. He is bonded with 3 others and they all treat him very well and seem to accept that he is a little more special. I am very careful when I appoach him as being both deaf and blind, he obviously gets spooked very easily and especially so when being picked up. He has no ongoing health problems and I would say that he enjoys an excellent quality of life - he binkies too!

Unfortunately another rabbit isn't really a option as they are house rabbits and I don't have room for another cage.

that's a shame but if you don't have the room then not alot you can do about it.

maybe someone would beable to help you try and bond the two girls again. how long did you try for last time? i know sometimes it takes ages, weeks and weeks, and then obviously sometimes it just doesn't happen.

i haven't got any experience of bonding but others on here have so they might beable to give you better advice.

if she ends up having to live alone then i'm sure she will still be happy and she is indoors so will be getting lots of love and attention from you anyway.

i hope all goes well for her. xxx.

What would be the best way to re-introduce the 2 rabbits, and when. Obviously Sooty is going to have to get used to being blind as well as deaf and I don't want her to get bullied and upset while she is still adjusting. Sweep is a very active and naughty/playful rabbit and can be quite a handful.

What would be the best way to re-introduce the 2 rabbits, and when. Obviously Sooty is going to have to get used to being blind as well as deaf and I don't want her to get bullied and upset while she is still adjusting. Sweep is a very active and naughty/playful rabbit and can be quite a handful.

there are a few reasons the bond may not be working one thing i found is that sometimes a rabbit will not accept another when they deem them weaker.... this could sadly be teh case.. it oculd also be teh blind bun is reacting as she doesnt know what is going on. have oyu been introducing them in completly neutral territory? a bathroom is often a good place(tho i wouldnt advice in the bath for a blind rabbit as they will be too scared by the slippery surface. you can otherwise neutralise an area such as the kitchen by using white vinegar spray if the area isnt neutral this will likely not work. remember things like humping fur pulling and chasing are ok this is dominace establishing... however if they are attaacking then you need to seperate. often a rescue will bond them for you for a small donation to save you the stress and worry. tho it does depend on hwo bad the previous fights are as since our buns drew blood no amount of rebonding has worked :( best of luck in relation to quality of life a partnered bun would be better and while you say you have no room for another cage if you got one and had it bonded to your bun at a rescue then it would live in the same cage thus same space taken up? provided all rabbits have run time out of cages(which is nessacery anyway) then this should be fine? (gnerally a neutered male and a neutered female are teh easiest to bond) regarding quality of life i think a blind bun can have a good life but needs lots of attention and only the owner can tell how they are coping really. dependant on the condition causing teh eye problems wil ldetermine any treatment available. xgood luck x

Thanks all for your advice and best wishes.
It's nice to know that some rabbits can carry on quite happily without sight or hearing. Hopefully the problem will only effect her sight and the treatment will stop any other problems developing.
She is already learning to move her head towards me when I tap the floor near her.

Back