• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pannacur dog/rabbit

bunlover

Warren Veteran
hi i used the dog cat one to pannacur my bunnys at the correct dosage and tho i do trust the people on here(jane adn liz sorry if it seems i doubted but wanted clarification) i did double check with my vet. she had agreed that being the same ingrediants it should be ok, as i had multiple bunnys it would be cheaper(my reason for using the dog/cat one). however i want to know what is the difference in pannacur dog/cat/rabbit and why dont they license just one type and put instructions on it for each animal and varying dosages.. there must be some differences.... we are now concerned we have done the wrong thing and should have if we were going to have used the annacur rabbit one.... can anyone else explain?

It's quite different the way you administer Panacur to rabbits, you need a long nosed syringe and have to poke it into their mouths. Some people are able to add it to their food but a lot won't take it like this. I think it's just because the paste is easier to administer to most rabbits.

I've used the dog Panacur for rabbits (and rats) before. I think the rabbit version is just marketed seperately at rabbits because some people would feel uncomfortable giving a medication aimed at the wrong species to their rabbit, and it makes people more likely to do routine treatments if they see a packet on the vet's shelves specifically for rabbits (and formulated as a paste for ease of use as mentioned I'd imagine)

The paste has gone through the legally required proceedures to licence it specifically for Rabbits. Panacur Liquid has not hence a Vet is not supposed to prescribe it in Liquid form for Rabbits even though its A- Exactly the same active ingredient and B- Cheaper.

It is purely a money making item for the manufacturer, especially after the EC trial.......which is now not considered to be of much use apparently.

It's quite different the way you administer Panacur to rabbits, you need a long nosed syringe and have to poke it into their mouths. Some people are able to add it to their food but a lot won't take it like this. I think it's just because the paste is easier to administer to most rabbits.

I completely disagree with this sorry.

I have never been able to get the hang of the paste, I find it so much easier to squirt the liquid straight in. I also think it is easier to get a more accurate dose with a syringe :)

I have never been able to get the hang of the paste, I find it so much easier to squirt the liquid straight in. I also think it is easier to get a more accurate dose with a syringe :)

Snap...some of my buns could actually spit the paste out due to its thicker consistancy, they've never managed that with the liquid. A 1ml syringe fits behind the incisors and across the tongue with no problems at all even in Nethies.

Back