• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Teeth Grinding

Kellyrich

Warren Scout
Hi can someone remind me what it means when a rabbit is grinding its teeth?

I know the purring noise is a sort of hapy love you noise but cant remember what the grinding means!

Well it depends on how rapid/hard the rabbit is grinding really.
Soft, fast grinding indicates comfort (as archie does this alot, and he cant be in pain, as the vet says hes perfectly healthy)
They often do it when you make a fuss of them :p
But slow and hard grinding may well indicate pain.
xx

Molly did it when she was in pain after her spay. It was horrible you could hear it from upstairs

Ronnie did this when he had a high temp and infection :( Was horrible to hear. It generally means theyre in pain.

Hope your bunny is ok? xXx

Thanks for your replies but it doesnt seem like a pain grinding its soft and does it when being stroked etc but doesnt seem to be in any pain!

Thanks for your replies but it doesnt seem like a pain grinding its soft and does it when being stroked etc but doesnt seem to be in any pain!

It sounds like the contented "tooth purring" rather than grinding then!

I hear that version a lot and 'touch wood' haven't heard the in pain version yet.

Bunnies can be so confusing, the first book I read said if a bunny pushes you with his nose it means 'go away', Artie did that a lot and it meant 'carry on stroking my nose', completely opposite to what the book said, luckily I worked out he was being sociable and not stroppy!

It sounds like the contented "tooth purring" rather than grinding then!

I hear that version a lot and 'touch wood' haven't heard the in pain version yet.

Bunnies can be so confusing, the first book I read said if a bunny pushes you with his nose it means 'go away', Artie did that a lot and it meant 'carry on stroking my nose', completely opposite to what the book said, luckily I worked out he was being sociable and not stroppy!

Yeah i read one thing then another thing saying the complete opposite so it does get quite confusing at times!! I just hope it is the contented one!!

Back