• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

silly question but can rabbits

animal ry

Warren Veteran
drink milk:?

i was reading in a rabbit book rabbits love to have milk is this true:? the book is from amarica:?

Hedgehogs love to drink milk, too, but it is very bad for them and can kill them. Adult rabbits should never drink milk, and when hand rearing baby rabbits, people usually give them some goat milk, I think. Water is the only thing rabbits should drink.

awwww thought so (havent given mine milk) just wondering when i saw it in the book

thank you:wave:

no was in the diet section of the book:shock: got the book from the libary so not sure if its english book or amarican i think its amarican though

some of the older books say things like that & also recomend feeding things like mashed potato.....I would take it back to the library & instead buy some recomended books from amazon.

Adult mammals of any kind don't need milk after weaning and quite often it does more damage than its useful. Also one should remember all types of milk is different, depending on what animal they are from.
What we normally drink is cow's milk, which is made for calves, not rabbits.
Even baby rabbits should only get rabbit milk or (if the mother dies) goat or cat milk. I've heard of some using a special mixture of cows milk for young rabbits but its very hard to hand rear them because rabbit milk has one of the biggest fat-percentages of most mammals. Milk from cows can often be far too powerful and causes digestive problems.

Back